Van security

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemist

Reaction score
Just bought my first van, a 5 year old Citroen Berlingo. After using the car until now it's like a dream, having a bit of space!

I was wondering how much people do in the way of security on their vans, window grills, locks etc. I tinted the rear windows to stop people seeing everything easily from the back but it has no grills or bulkhead. Do you guys leave much in your vans, and if so what?

I'm thinking i'll probably leave basic materials like cable, sockets and back boxes, plaster, ladder, and some basic hand tools.

Planning on leaving all the power tools and decent kit like the tester in the house, although loading and unloading the tools is going to get tedious I don't want some b*stard nicking it all.

Who's had their van broken into?

me twice :(

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

both times at a customers property, the first time all tools where in there, the second time thy didnt get anything because most of tools were either here at home or out in the house i was working in

someone did once try to get into the side door. alarm sounded and they ran.

keylocks on side & back door were not connected anyway so they wouldnt have suceeded

alchemist,

Always worth fitting ''Good security locks'' and a ''Decent Alarm'', that'll wake the dead!!! Preferably one that can deliver around 20,000 volts when disturbed. You might even hear the screams over the alarm... :slap

A least then you then won't have to keep loading and unloading the expensive stuff evenings and mornings.

There's nothing worse in my book, than someone who is prepared to rob another man of his livelihood.... They need educating, and educating the Hard Way, cause they don't learn anything any other way!!! :red card

So the questions is, if we're going to do this properly, what MCB should I use to protect the circuit supplying the metal work on the car LOL.

Obviously I want to be able to certify the 'security device' myself bad day explode

No need, ....Just leave it at a convenient place where you can observe and wait!!!

Why use an MCB?? ...Use a solid link, you don't want it tripping when it has hold of one of these Toe Rags do you ?? lol!!!!

Re removing tools - I store most tools in those large plastic crates with hinged lids - the industrial ones, I got them 2nd hand from a removal firm in Avonmouth for

I put in a reflective tint, haven't yet but plan on also putting a grill over so if they try to smash it they'll break their hand at the same time.

Had a decent alarm fitted

Gonna get one of those Heavy duty van tool boxes to keep my testers in.

Think that's about it.

Its a matter of 'when' will your van get broken into, not if. My old van had windows in the back, which had a grill across them so people could see in. I had a large 'Knack' site safe with yellow and black hazard tape around it. This was well bolted down. I had a rack on one side which i used to leave a few old second hand sockets and similar tat near the windows, with the boxes of new gear underneath. The only time anyone tried breaking in was when i had to reverse against a wall to allow other vehicle access so they could not see in. They punched the lock out the side door, but like Andy i had disconnect the barrels (as i had central locking) and the alarm frightened them away.

My new van ( Vauxhall Vivaro) has excellent factory security, Thatcam 1&2 and no lock barrels except the drivers door. All the lock are operated via cables, so you cant hook anything and unlatch the locks. If the drivers is opened (even with a key) without the keyfob being used the alarm will sound. The only way to open the rear is via the keyfob. I see problems when this gets old !

Even so i still had mortice lock fitted.

Does anyone have any ideas for securing side loading doors? I want to do something not too expensive but visually obvious? I have the Abus lock on the back doors and security grills in the windows. I have also got a handbrake gearstick lock overnight and a bulkhead. I will make some hook on blinds to the security grills overnight from 6mm ply so nobody can see in which I can remove when I want. I wanted to get an alarm that beeps when someone approaches the van, but money is tight at the moment. I will fit a cheap alarm very soon. See the attachment to view my rear doors lock, but I don't want one on the Side door it would stick out too much.View attachment 3019

I put in a reflective tint, haven't yet but plan on also putting a grill over so if they try to smash it they'll break their hand at the same time.Had a decent alarm fitted

Gonna get one of those Heavy duty van tool boxes to keep my testers in.

Think that's about it.
Problem with reflective tint is that in the dark you can see in. You can see from the darkest area, and cant't see the lighted area.

After dark you can usually see in . I intend to make some window blanks out of 6mm ply and hang these inside the grills overnight.

Does anyone have any ideas for securing side loading doors? I want to do something not too expensive but visually obvious? I have the Abus lock on the back doors and security grills in the windows. I have also got a handbrake gearstick lock overnight and a bulkhead. I will make some hook on blinds to the security grills overnight from 6mm ply so nobody can see in which I can remove when I want. I wanted to get an alarm that beeps when someone approaches the van, but money is tight at the moment. I will fit a cheap alarm very soon. See the attachment to view my rear doors lock, but I don't want one on the Side door it would stick out too much.View attachment 3019
Hell man, it would be cheaper to move to somewhere leafy where there is less crime!!!! How long does it take you to get into it and set off!!

My Tools are insured but I do want to keep hold of them and then there is the

excess cost for the vehicle insurance to pay for any break in damage. I have a

big CCTV camera on the wall directly above where I park the van. I am planning

to add a PIR security light targeted to the approaches to the van.

For the side door I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay for a deadlock.

What is central locking then? :C your'e too advanced for me chum

Latest posts