Van security

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.C

Reaction score
To All tradesmen Please read this
I am a sparkie and had my van broken into and had over £2k of kit taken and now only carry what power tools I need for the day and remove them every night. It’s a pain in the ass but has to be done. However, I was messing with my doorbell and had a lightbulb moment and this is what I now do.
If you have a battery Ring ( or other make ) doorbell, try putting it into your van.

I attached mine onto some velcro pads, fitted it to the bulkhead in the cargo area of my van.

Now, when I park on my drive, the doorbell automatically connects to the WiFi and not only gives me instant alerts but also records all video to the cloud.

I have also invested in a Ring alarm system and placed a PIR within the cockpit of the van. This means that if any person should enter the cab area first, it will also trigger the alarm.

The beauty of this is , the alarms go off in the house and not disturb the neighbours, it can come direct to your smart phone and video is available instantly.

I have emailed Ring with this concept and with the idea of it working via SIM card when not near your home WIFi but they have ignored it.

So. Have a try, if you already have a Ring ( or similar ) system in, it’s very cheap to do. If you don’t , it’s better than a car alarm.

Hope this helps you all

Many CCTV systems have 'target areas and missing object detection'. With one of these you could draw a target area around your van, anyone going inside the target area during the scheduled time would trigger an alarm response. The missing object works well for things like trailers, bikes, garden ornaments etc.

I take all my tools off van every day and put em in my garage too , it is a pain as you say , but i say to myself its an extra bit of exercise that us old farts need and gives me a chance to charge my batteries on a standard charger rather than the fast charger , also alerts me to the fact that i have left something on site as usual!!😄
But i am lucky as have a driveway so not to far to the garage ,
Good idea though👍
Felt your pain dave

I take all my tools off van every day and put em in my garage too , it is a pain as you say , but i say to myself its an extra bit of exercise that us old farts need and gives me a chance to charge my batteries on a standard charger rather than the fast charger , also alerts me to the fact that i have left something on site as usual!!😄
But i am lucky as have a driveway so not to far to the garage ,
Good idea though👍
Felt your pain dave
Why not put the whole van in the garage?

There's a video of a UK electrician observing Norwegian electricians.

To his amazement the Norwegian's sign-written van had glass windows in the back doors, and the thought of anyone breaking in was an alien concept.

Some of the actions of UK criminals fills me with disgust and shame.

I have a fiat scudo and a workshop with a roller shutter door. And 6ft steel locked gates
I always remove the tools at night and put them back into my workshop. About 12 month ago I was awoken by a neighbor who had caught 2 blokes in my workshop.
The van doors were wide open, and the gate lock had been cut off. The roller shutter was up and my Stihl saw, 2 drills and a few other tools were gone.
The neighbor had been tussling with them and ended up with a few bruises
All this whilst I sleeping 15 foot away.
Police were there in about 5 minutes which I guess is unusual. They said. A known thief had been released from prison about 10 days prior and they had 23 SIM breakings. He had obviously learned his lesson 😞

Latest posts