Vimark

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
I had a belt today (don't laugh) while i was working on a boiler. This was supplied by a plug and socket, so i switched it off, the boiler went off, but the thing was still live so i got a belt.

I looked at the socket which turned out to be a double pole socket, but seemed to only switch off the neutral side. What was even stranger is that there was another boiler in the property and that socket was exactly the same.

Does anyone know if there has been any known probs with vimark sockets?

Vimark is a very cheap make , one of my local wholesalers has them, don't use them myself, but I think its a case of getting what you pay for. One side of the switch can't be opening.

Deke

This was supplied by a plug and socket, so i switched it off
Nicky, you KNOW you should have pulled the plug. :eek:

Lesson for all up-and-coming young sparks. ALWAYS test for voltage after turning off anything. ;)

he did - with his finger
Problem is one finger down, only three more belts to that hand and it's all over:D no way he can hold a Guiness Drink

Used to use Vimark stuff as supplied by my favourite wholesaler apparently it was fitted on some quite expensive houses not sure where thou. Generally had no probs with it. They supply BG now although I use Contactum mainly as I prefer there quality.

Batty

Would have been so easy to pull the plug!

:)

I have a non contact voltage tester. Sandra would even prefer you to use a neon screwdriver :)

I had a belt today (don't laugh) while i was working on a boiler. This was supplied by a plug and socket, so i switched it off, the boiler went off, but the thing was still live so i got a belt. I looked at the socket which turned out to be a double pole socket, but seemed to only switch off the neutral side. What was even stranger is that there was another boiler in the property and that socket was exactly the same.

Does anyone know if there has been any known probs with vimark sockets?
I have seen problems in the past with cheepo non-branded socket only switching one pole of a DP switch!

but those problems were no power coming though...

shards of plastic stuck in the mechanism! :eek:

Indeed. A switch is not a form of isolation. Pulling a plug from a socket is a sure form of isolation.

used to 'plug in' a 32A plug into a ring main - consists of 2x 13A plugs, short bit of flex then into 32A socket. If only 1 plugged in, live pins on other plug

Sometimes bodged together by DIYers who have a larger welder (/high powered appliance) but no dedicated circuit etc

more commonly found in entertainment electrics

Also known as any device which has exposed contacts either end

May I just add, r.e. the o/p:Boiler should be connected via EITHER

1. A DP fused spur,

OR

2. An unswitched socket.

Designed to avoid problems such as this (or polarity)

HTH

KME
Just as long as its not a vimark DP F/Spur

used to 'plug in' a 32A plug into a ring main - consists of 2x 13A plugs, short bit of flex then into 32A socket. If only 1 plugged in, live pins on other plugSometimes bodged together by DIYers who have a larger welder (/high powered appliance) but no dedicated circuit etc

more commonly found in entertainment electrics

Also known as any device which has exposed contacts either end
Oh, a widow-maker! And while they might be 'commonly' used in entertainment electrics when I find these devices they are unplugged and cut up!

I once found a version that had three plugs and a three phase c-form on the end. That was destroyed and when the owner of the bodge complained I told them if they were that desperate for a three phase supply then they can go and hire a generator.