Visual Inspection Forms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
I seem to remember we had something like this in the downloads section but i cant seem to find it anymore. Anyone got anything similar?

That would be the one i thinks, i know NIC do them, but sure i saw a editable version kicking about somewhere

The forms that were in the download section were scanned in NIC ones with a copyright logo so they were removed. If anyone has some and uploads them to the downloads section I will gladly check and approve them for members.

Last edited by a moderator:
How extensive is a "Visual Report" .

I've looked at many installations where either me or my oppo have said " This looks like a decent job won't be much wrong with this " . Then going on to unearth the usual lurking nasties .

The only times I've done a "Visual" was after opening the front door , looking at half a dozen wooden fuseboxes with glass doors ,rewirable fuses and a load of crumbling rubber cable dissapearing into the ceiling.

Send a letter stating property needs rewiring in the opinion of EE .

Last edited by a moderator:
Clients want one completed prior to a full inspection, if they want to pay it im happy to take their money but i always make perfectly clear it is in no way a suitable alternative to regular inspection to BS7671

The visual report was brought in for rental properties that are supposed to have annual & change of occupier checks. It was designed for that purpose only when the previous or current full test certificates/report are available for inspection. In these cases a visual check to see if anything had been damaged or changed is deemed acceptable.

To recap, this means the Domestic visual condition report should only be issued when a current or just expired installation certificate or satisfactory Periodic inspection report (now a Electrical installation condition report) is shown. This means it can only be issued once in between a EICR

Disagree with you there Slips

No requirement for a EICR on a rental property so the rules for using a Visual Report only for a recent EICR is non issue

do what is asked get the money and go

for everyones info i do visuals all the time on rental properties with PAT Testing,RCD tests and ZS tests at most sockets

1.5 hrs max with remedials upto £50 done at the same time

Can you explain how you do a visual on RCD Tests - unless it's a push the button jobbie?- visual on a Zs??

You are either doing a Visual or part EICR?

Is it not recommended that an EICR be done on a change of occupancy?

fair enough Slips,,,,,but if the landlord wont pay for an EICR but will have a visual then cheers easy

i keep getting told by them that there is no legal requirement so what can you do ?

Sharps

yes it is a part EICR but on my own Visual forms,,,,,,i do think the visuals are pants but checking the Rcd for trip times isnt time consuming

I was asked by an irate landlord why i had commented on poor terminations, no grommets, no cable markings and metal plates not earthed whist i was carrying out a Visual report as i shouldn't have unscrewed anything. I replied i looked, didn't test.

My assesor said when doing a visual, leave the tester in the van. If you start testing you are leading on to an EICR.

My assesor said when doing a visual, leave the tester in the van. If you start testing you are leading on to an EICR.
Exactly what I said in post #8

Sellers, spotted today stood by a ladder at the corner of that bungalow. I would have stopped and introduced myself but 'time was pressing and wife was driving' :innocent

If the wife was driving I'd have thought that you'd of had time for tea biscuits never mind a chat, time it takes a woman to get along the road!

Boy am I fed up with following women and old people, there should be some law that limits these groups to certain times of the day.

Visual report with zs results and rcd checks or

EICR with loads of lims ? worthless in my mind

just for info..........zs of sockets have revealed P-E faults,,,high reading due to worn sockets, faulty RCD;s

but thats just me...........

The scammers dont make the rules......

Exactly what I said in post #8

Sellers, spotted today stood by a ladder at the corner of that bungalow. I would have stopped and introduced myself but 'time was pressing and wife was driving' :innocent
Stalking again! If it was me I was wearing my wheres wally ski hat today, green and yellow! ;)