WAGO Connectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Sparky~

Reaction score
Ok so i got my free sample of WAGO's and yes i am impressed on how they work and the hold they take..... and i am also impressed with the JB they are enclosed in, such a cimple cable grip but so affective.

I have one question, when carrying out testing, where can i put the probe into the connector.....

i see on the WAGO's with the leaver's that there is a small hole/gap where i prosume i can get contact of the actual matal that holds the conductors in place, but what about the other WAGO's, the clear ones that are just push to secure it..... also when i was trying to pull the CPC out of the WAGO, i found it was the hardest one to do as the over sleaving was the thing that was pulling/twisting, not the conductor.

I use these ones from helacon. Cheaper and they have a test point above the holes. Problem with these connectors as once they are on you have to twist like hell to get them off. To get a cpc back out I pull the sleeving back, clamp with long nose pliers, then twist the connector back and forward, eventually it will come off.

I get them from the link above on ebay and he will combine postage if you buy a few. Worked out about 9p for each one then just enclose in choc box.

There should be holes in the push wago's too. Are they on the end?

I always thought they could be reused and seem to recall seeing some instructions on doing just that.

EDIT: from wagobox.co.uk: Simply pushing the stripped conductor into the connector makes the connection. The transparent housing provides a visible indication that the conductor is secure. There is a test point in the base of the housing. To remove the connector simply pull on the conductor whilst twisting the connector block left and right. The connector can then be reused.

Thanks for the replies and i will have a look at the helicon ones.

having another look at the wago's i can see the test holes, very small, so i guess i would have to use the long narrow test probe i have to use on some RCBO's. I think i prefer the leaver ones out of the 3 samples i got. Its a pitty they didnt do one with just the one connection, seems a shame to waste a 2 connection wago when only one is needed.

Thanks again for the replies.

just had a look and a read of the helicon ones, one question are they BS/ EU approved, it doesnt actually say

Thanks for the replies and i will have a look at the helicon ones.having another look at the wago's i can see the test holes, very small, so i guess i would have to use the long narrow test probe i have to use on some RCBO's. I think i prefer the leaver ones out of the 3 samples i got. Its a pitty they didnt do one with just the one connection, seems a shame to waste a 2 connection wago when only one is needed.

Thanks again for the replies.
what would you use a connector that only accomodates one cable for? its not able to connect anything then. ?:|

i was just thinking of a double insulated appliance, (extractor fan), doesnt require an earth and if no connector is supplied for the earth to be connected into, it doesnt just get cut.... it has to be put into a connector incase a new fan is fitted and requires an earth.

Just a thaught.

i was just thinking of a double insulated appliance, (extractor fan), doesnt require an earth and if no connector is supplied for the earth to be connected into, it doesnt just get cut.... it has to be put into a connector incase a new fan is fitted and requires an earth.Just a thaught.
Just use a normal strip connector.

Just use a normal strip connector.
yes its easy enough to use a strip connector but i thaught the wago's were designed to save time (not having to screw tight) so going back and forward from them both would in my oppinion take longer than just having a strip of connectors and your screwdriver in your pocket.

i would still say having a 1 terminal connector would be an advantage.

Wagos are designed to save time. They are also designed to connect 2 or more wires together as with a strip connector.

To say there should be a Wago with just one entry is like saying there should be a strip connector with entry on just one side :D

i was just thinking of a double insulated appliance, (extractor fan), doesnt require an earth and if no connector is supplied for the earth to be connected into, it doesnt just get cut.... it has to be put into a connector incase a new fan is fitted and requires an earth.Just a thaught.
i normally cut the earth sleeving longer than the earth so it fully covers it, and fold it to stop it falling off

it is a good idea yes, but would i be wrong in saying that all conductors must be terminated correctly, ie connector block even if they are not used. I know that if you were to use a 3 core & cpc cabe and say you only use 2 cores and cpc the remaining core must be connected to earth at least one end of the 3 core. I admit i have done what you are saying JUD but i dont think it is by the book.

I have just done a job today involving 380 connections, I used wago connectors, I estimated that it saved me about two hours. So well worth the extra outlay.

I typically used 5 connectors per point, I also demonstrated the flexibility and safety of the product to the maintenance manager, who was equaly impressed.

(then asked me to wrap insulation tape over them) old habbits die hard. :)

I can see the use for a single push fit Wago as described - no chance of the unconnected Earth shorting - it makes sense to me - very quick - a very professional looking - will send an email to Mr Wago

Thanks to all you Guys who responded - have taken the plunge after recieving samples pack!

Bought initial order of 240 piece box and 10 boxes

check this out -

ordered samples monday - recieved Tues

Ordered supplies - Wedsnesday midday - recieved Thurs 3pm

all from WAGO site http://secure.wago.ltd.uk/shop/

what service

Last edited by a moderator: