Wall Chaser

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should invest in a wall chaser or stick with my trusty hammer and chisel.. Have you tried a wall chaser and are they any good.

Just looking for something to chase plaster board on block etc..

Any usefull ideas..

Chas

I use one, got it from Aldi, of all places. It is very good, but makes a hell of a mess. I manufactured a dust extraction system out of an old vacuum cleaner. Still dosn't catch all the dust though. Saves a lot of chisel work. Great for cutting conduit into concrete floors too. Cost me around 50 quid if I remember right. There are obviously more professional chasers, ie, the type you hire from HSS, but for the amount of time I use it, it serves it's purpose.

What about these Bosch multi tools are they any good for light chasing in block work and plaster ?

Chas

You can get a riff blade for them, which is made for

Grout Removal

Soft Wall Tiles

Cast Plates

Porous Concrete

Plaster Board

Epoxy

So far I have only used it for plaster board and trimming tiles..

Just wondering if I should invest in a wall chaser or stick with my trusty hammer and chisel.. Have you tried a wall chaser and are they any good.Just looking for something to chase plaster board on block etc..

Any usefull ideas..

Chas
As Neil says.....

DUST!

If you are thinking of using in a Domestic installation..

ONLY use in an 'empty', 'vacated', 'undecorated', property, cuz it will most likely need industrial cleaning & re-decorating afterwards.

Most Domestic plaster IMHO can be done cleaner & just as quick with a good chisel & hammer....

AND on occasions a secondhand cheepo saw.

Properties that have had damp problems & had all downstairs internal walls re-plastered with that concrete like covering on the lower 1m of wall may need a dam good chaser to shift! X( :|

If more site work environment then may be usefull....

BUT there again... unplastered walls don't need much chasing! :(

Guinness

As Neil says.....DUST!

If you are thinking of using in a Domestic installation..

ONLY use in an 'empty', 'vacated', 'undecorated', property, cuz it will most likely need industrial cleaning & re-decorating afterwards.

Most Domestic plaster IMHO can be done cleaner & just as quick with a good chisel & hammer....

AND on occasions a secondhand cheepo saw.

Properties that have had damp problems & had all downstairs internal walls re-plastered with that concrete like covering on the lower 1m of wall may need a dam good chaser to shift! X( :|

If more site work environment then may be usefull....

BUT there again... unplastered walls don't need much chasing! :(

Guinness
Think I will stick with my Hammer and chisel most i do are occupied and full of furniture etc...

Chas

I use a sparky wall chaser and it is dusty even with a good hoover, it is however easier and quicker but not for lived in unless major work going on. I use a sds with rotary stop still some dust but easier than a hammer and chisel.

I use a sparky wall chaser and it is dusty even with a good hoover, it is however easier and quicker but not for lived in unless major work going on. I use a sds with rotary stop still some dust but easier than a hammer and chisel.
Agreed in quite a few occasions...Applaud Smiley

But you do need to be careful on some older proprieties, internal single brick walls.......

The ole SDS rotostop... CAN dislodge or seriously loosen a few bricks if mortar is getting flakey! :(

Nowt worse than chasing down one wall & having bricks poke out on opposite side of wall!

External walls SDS 99.9% of the time No problem.. jobs a goodun! ;)

Agreed in quite a few occasions...Applaud SmileyBut you do need to be careful on some older proprieties, internal single brick walls.......

The ole SDS rotostop... CAN dislodge or seriously loosen a few bricks if mortar is getting flakey! :(

Nowt worse than chasing down one wall & having bricks poke out on opposite side of wall!

External walls SDS 99.9% of the time No problem.. jobs a goodun! ;)
I've managed to do that with a hammer and chisel on one or two occasions:_| :_| :_|

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned the only times I use it are for chasing conduit into concrete and for old sand stone cottages (apache will know what I mean out in the woolybacks!) which have usually been tanked out in render for damp proof purposes.

I have never used it in an occupied house. As the old saying goes, a time and a place.

I've managed to do that with a hammer and chisel on one or two occasions:_| :_| :_|
Ditto, I was making a box deeper for some nurse call in a disabled toilet in a hospital, next thing, hello everybody in the waiting room, and the poor sod who had a brick come out of the wall right next to where they were sat.

Can laugh about it now

edit* This was a breeze block!

:x

You obviously had THREE shreaded wheats those days!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O] :)

Applaud Smiley

I have had those days when bashing away with a hammer & chisel..

then hear.

Thud... bang.... Smash in the room next door......

Picture or decorative plate that was hanging on the wall..

now broken on the floor!!:_|Blushing

It depends on how much you use it. We use Metabo chasers with Bosch extractors for chasing in conduit. I personally use a scutch for knocking out the chased brick, and that creates less dust than hitting it with a rotostop gun. It's a practiced knack. When we started the contract we got some cheap screwfix chasers and they lasted a couple of weeks. If you do virtually no chasing you may be best sticking to scutch, but a decent chaser with proper extractor does a good clean job and you may find it's a worthwhile investment.

:x You obviously had THREE shreaded wheats those days!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O] :)
Speaking of which, they don't make Weetabix as dense as they used to. I eat 4 or 5 at breakfast (used to be just 3) and feel hungry again two hours later.

Humph, feel cheated X(

I spent a fortune on a chaser from E/fix and it's never been out of the box. I just use the cordless SDS (found out the hard way that the corded was too heavy duty!) with a small chisel. That way I can cut for the boxes at the same time.

On the subject of dust extraction though, what does everyone recommend? I need a new vac for the van too, so was thinking of a Henry... but are they tough enough?

Used a wall chaser at home for fitting some floor sockets in a concrete floor. Did the job well but horrific mess (even with extraction device) and appalling noise. Possibly the most obnoxious tool i've used. Took hours just to clean up.

Second that on Henry. They're the best.