Wall Mounted Tv - Plug Gets In The Way - Solution?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gary Wright

Reaction score
Hi Everyone 

I am new here on this great forum and I have got a problem with my wall mounted TV - when I offer the TV up to the bracket the electrical plug sticks out too far from the wall and will not allow me to clip the TV on to the wall mount.

I think I have the solution but would like to check it out first with the experts to see if it is my best option and of course that it is totally safe.

My electrician has installed a single 3 pin socket and next to it an aerial socket, both of the front plates come out of the wall at the normal 5 or 6mm. The intension is that when the TV is on the wall it will cover the power point and aerial sockets and look neat and tidy with no cables or wires showing.

So here is what I think my solution would be, I would buy a new TV power cord (3amp @ 240v ac) with a C7 (figure 8) plug on one end and 2 bare wires at the other end. I will give reasons why i would buy a new one later....

Then I would take out the 3 pin socket and replace it with a switched, fused spur with a front wire outlet. I would change the fuse to a 3amp which will then be compliant with the TV. I would then wire in the two wires from the TV.s power cord into the new spur and this will then give me the extra space i need to hang the TV on the wall bracket.

I hope this all makes sense???

The reason that i would buy a new power cord is the one that comes with the TV has a moulded 3 pin plug on it and if I cut it off and use it to wire into the spur it would invalidate my warranty - so i will keep it just in case something goes wrong with the TV.

So there you have my problem and I hope the easy solution - I look forward to any replies - thanks in advance 

"POWER TO THE PEOPLE"

Gary

That's one solution.

This is an increasing problem with the trend to ever thinner and thinner brackets that try to get the tv tighter onto the wall.

Often if you look at the back of the tv part of it will be recessed and by choosing VERY carefully exactly where to put the socket so it coincides with the recess.  That works untll you change the tv.

Alternatively most tv brackets include spacers to fit between the bracket and the tv to stand it off a bit and give more room.

I agree with ProDave's last comment. Would it not be easier to space the bracket away from the wall?

Thanks for all your replies and so quick...

I don't want to use spacers because where the TV is going to be mounted on a wall you have to walk past the TV in a refined area (between a kitchen island and the wall} So the less it sticks out the better.

As long as it is safe and ok to do? I will use the spur method and thanks for the suggestion of a bottom outlet - even better.

Thanks again Andy, ProDave, Kerching and Richard the ninth.

Status
Not open for further replies.