washing machine in wc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hi all

Just went to look at a job which turned out to be a lot larger than telephone call let on!

Anyway my queries are:

1 - does anyone know of small light fittings which can be placed in a wall which are battery operated or are of the PIR type?

2 - couple have put their w/m in the downstairs loo; they want a SO for it. Had a look in the BRB, but can only find info for showers and baths. Would I be able to put a switched FCU in there? The distance from the sink to the wall is only 0.9m.

3 - can any light switches with big rockers and an indicator to tell you that the light is on be found? (before anyone says "just look at the light"!, it's for a switch which operates the loft light).

Thank you all

WM in a loo is fine.

Though unusual in a small loo, I've seen plenty of utility rooms that have washing machine and a loo in the corner.

The restrictions on sockets only apply to a room with a bath or a shower (where you are likely to be wet and naked). Since this loo has neither, you can have sockets, surface mounted light switches etc etc, just like you do in a kitchen.

For the loft light, you need a 20A DP switch with neon. Usually used for feeding immersion heaters or storage heaters etc. Although the 20A rating is overkill for a light, they are the only ones I have seen with a built in neon and will work perfectly well.

WM in a loo is fine.Though unusual in a small loo, I've seen plenty of utility rooms that have washing machine and a loo in the corner.

The restrictions on sockets only apply to a room with a bath or a shower (where you are likely to be wet and naked). Since this loo has neither, you can have sockets, surface mounted light switches etc etc, just like you do in a kitchen.
Concur with M Prodave...... :Salute :D

Mind you...

did he have to raise the subject of 'wet and naked' this early in the day.....

Shouldn't these posts be kept till after 10:00pm? :eek:

Hi allJust went to look at a job which turned out to be a lot larger than telephone call let on!

Anyway my queries are:

1 - does anyone know of small light fittings which can be placed in a wall which are battery operated or are of the PIR type?

Thank you all
Not quite sure what you are after here...

You could make ANY light a PIR one by sticking a standalone PIR in circuit?

OR

are you trying to ask for a Battery operated PIR light?

Hi allJust went to look at a job which turned out to be a lot larger than telephone call let on!

Anyway my queries are:

3 - can any light switches with big rockers and an indicator to tell you that the light is on be found? (before anyone says "just look at the light"!, it's for a switch which operates the loft light).

Thank you all
Have you got a neutral at the switch position?

If yes...

why not just use a 20A DP switch with Neon?

such as

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13014/Electrical-Supplies/Switches-Sockets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-20A-DP-Sw-Neon

:)

I'm sure Maplin or CPC would have something, or the bits to make one. Could use a battery wall light and a small alarm PIR, or something similar.

2 - couple have put their w/m in the downstairs loo; they want a SO for it. Had a look in the BRB, but can only find info for showers and baths. Would I be able to put a switched FCU in there? The distance from the sink to the wall is only 0.9m.
Put whatever you want in there. As you have mentioned, as there is no bath or shower then it isn;t a bathroom. A lot of people think it's the toilet that makes it the special location, no idea why as it's plainly printed in BS7671.

Normal DP switch and neon not large enough then?

Legrand Clipper range

Thanks for responses so far.

SL - sorry, I did think I hadn't explained that one too well. Gonna have to ramble a bit now...

Clients want to illuminate stairwell at night. I've done this in a previous home of mine with some success, but I was able to put all the bits under the stairs within the cupboard. Unfortunately, the stairs are open tread so something has to go into the wall.

They either want something that can be switched on and left until they switch it off again (in the morning I presume) or something which will come on as they approach the staircase. I don't think the latter will work as the stairs lead from the dining area and would probably keep coming on as the occupants walked around!

I was thinking that small led type lights would be good, but open and grateful to any suggestions.

Regard the switch on the landing. It's between 2 of the bedrooms on a normal rocker plate. Don't think the 20a DP pull switch is going to be appropriate there.

Regard the switch on the landing. It's between 2 of the bedrooms on a normal rocker plate. Don't think the 20a DP pull switch is going to be appropriate there.
I can;t see where anyone has mentioned pull switch?

I can;t see where anyone has mentioned pull switch?
Yes, you are correct. When "one's used in bathroom" was mentioned, I assumed it would be a pull :Blushing

Nice one Lurch - can't moan that theyre too small! Really want something that will indicate only one of the gangs if that's possible.
Crikey, getting a bit demanding now. You could use the neon frame and spray one half of it? Or just mount a panel mount neon in the switch, or LED with resistor?

H3 - can any light switches with big rockers and an indicator to tell you that the light is on be found? (before anyone says "just look at the light"!, it's for a switch which operates the loft light).

Thank you all
Any good to you, Nat?

Think you can add led light module to standard legrand switch plates. If you look at the mouldings there is a thinner section with 3 almost translucent points behind which you can add the led unit. Looks really nice, last forever and extremely low energy use to boot. Don't cost a fortune either (though my memory might be playing tricks :) )

Hi all2 - couple have put their w/m in the downstairs loo;

Thank you all
Do not put your w/m in the toilet.

1) You have to lift it out when you want to ****, very hard after a few beers and a curry.

2) On the spin cycle it tends to break the toilet bowl.

:) :)

Think you can add led light module to standard legrand switch plates. If you look at the mouldings there is a thinner section with 3 almost translucent points behind which you can add the led unit. Looks really nice, last forever and extremely low energy use to boot. Don't cost a fortune either (though my memory might be playing tricks :) )
Cheers Binky

Checked my old Legrand catalogue and they have exactly what I'm looking for. Just need to get an up to date pricelist.

Concur with M Prodave...... :Salute :D Mind you...

did he have to raise the subject of 'wet and naked' this early in the day.....

Shouldn't these posts be kept till after 10:00pm? :eek:
i didnt think admin went to bed till 11.30 pm though :^O :^O

A lot of people think it's the toilet that makes it the special location, no idea why as it's plainly printed in BS7671.
Don't know about anyone else but my toilet is a very special location to me after a vindaloo

Latest posts