Well how about that then !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Nice one Deke/Sandra/Deke!

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

congrats m8.

Thanks everyone. They have printed quite a few letters from me , I didn't even know there was a prize.

The reason for the letter is that they always miss my point ( and did again this time) . I am refering to the asbestos flash pads fixed to the old Bill Switchgear rewirable porcelain fuses, of which there are still a lot about. ( I don't even recognise what they call " Arc shields")

If you look at the H&S link supplied by Apache , it is aimed at the asbestos removal contractor not elecctricians yanking fuses out with asbestos attached to them.

Oh well, I have two Brother printers now. Nice if it had been a Loop tester that doesn't trip RCBOs.

Thanks everyone. They have printed quite a few letters from me , I didn't even know there was a prize.The reason for the letter is that they always miss my point ( and did again this time) . I am refering to the asbestos flash pads fixed to the old Bill Switchgear rewirable porcelain fuses, of which there are still a lot about. ( I don't even recognise what they call " Arc shields")

If you look at the H&S link supplied by Apache , it is aimed at the asbestos removal contractor not elecctricians yanking fuses out with asbestos attached to them.

Oh well, I have two Brother printers now. Nice if it had been a Loop tester that doesn't trip RCBOs.
Sell one on TEF? ; \ :p :D

Ah! Well, now theres an answer.
The only thing I ever won was a raffle where the top prize was a trip to Africa.

I won a double bed quilt and linen.

I was single at the time living in a 6x10 bedsit.

I gave it away to a married friend of mine.

The only thing I ever won was a raffle where the top prize was a trip to Africa.I won a double bed quilt and linen.

I was single at the time living in a 6x10 bedsit.

I gave it away to a married friend of mine.
i hope they didnt throw the old stuff out before removing the life savings!

ive always heard them refered to as arc arrestors.

as far as what you are allowed to do, i think its not alot at all. Im sure theres a more technical explanation.

ive always heard them refered to as arc arrestors.as far as what you are allowed to do, i think its not alot at all. Im sure theres a more technical explanation.
I'm sure you are right Wozz, I think they belong in switchgear not fuseboards.

The cast iron Bill isolators and switchfuses also have an asbestos seal around the the drop-down cover.

I'm sure you are right Wozz, I think they belong in switchgear not fuseboards.The cast iron Bill isolators and switchfuses also have an asbestos seal around the the drop-down cover.
here's a nice switch fuse with asbestos inside.

Anyone spot the big error? (and no, i didnt install it, i had to put it right)

DSCF1385.jpg

Assuming the meter tails are the incoming feeds then they should be in the bottom terminals not the top.

The top terminals are permamantly live , even when the switch is off. The only thing right is the neutral connection.

Is there a prize for the first correct answer, lable machine ? Loop tester ? ;)

you got it right. it was installed around 97. dont know who installed it though. took an entire 15 minutes to change wiring to how it should be.

See your post for your prize

here's a nice switch fuse with asbestos inside.Anyone spot the big error? (and no, i didnt install it, i had to put it right)

DSCF1385.jpg
Good to see the evidence first hand, good learning for those who may have not seen anything like this.

As earlier posts outgoing/incoming swappedALSO

Is there an earth on the outgoing cable????

Looks like a PVC gland!!
definately not PVC gland! the SWA is terminated correctly, and the paint had been scraped away on both sides of the gland, although no banjo/link to earth terminal

Very nice job andy, all the terminals are correctly terminated.

One small itsy bitsy nit picking I would have is phase cable identification, though you can clearly make it out on the out going, I would have marked the incomming just to id the correct phases.

But not a problem really as its clear whats what to be honest.