Western Power 200A

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electroglow

Reaction score
hello. does any one know if the western power would up grade a domestic single phase 100A to  200A.

the customer wants a few out building to run off the house supply and a salon. 

preiviously on 3 phase witch fed about 5 car garages

Never seen a 200A single phase supply :eek:

But it sounds from your description that it might be better to just have the 3 phase reinstated TBH
+1

Why not try asking Western power if you want a definitive answer? As Noz suggests I think you will be guided to a 3-phase supply, or a new second single phase supply.

Doc H.

Be careful. If they get wind of the Salon, they will almost certainly insist on a separate supply for that, not least because commercial rates are usually higher than domestic, and they wouldn't want to lose money now would they?

How did they get rid of the previous 3 phase supply????? Presumably not by digging up the old service cable..... What is there now???

You got more chance of flying to the moon than of having a 200amp single phase supply. You will end up with three phase again. So far as i know it will be classed as commercial anyway [so they will charge more to install it] because of the size of the supply; As far as i know WPD class all supplies of less than 30KVA as domestic ones, and bigger ones commercial, at least that is what they told me!!

Go here:http://www.westernpower.co.uk/Connections/Useful-Information/Connections-Charging-Statements.aspx

Click on the area concerned printed underneath the map, and you will be able to download the price list to get it done, all done to fixed charges you see!!!

john....

3 phase is still in use for other units. 

they have had solar panels installed and then realised that half the house was fed from the 3 phase. 

they would like all the house feed from the single phase suplpy so the panels will just proved for that. 

they have a total of 3 electric showers 1 cooker, 1 hob about 5 ring mains, 10 lighting circuits, electric heaters. i have carried out a load test and with all of it turned on it reaches 168A.. add diversity to that and it is still a lot. even now the meter light is going mad. 

why not put 12kW PV system in and make proper use of 3 phase connection? Could be used to run immersion, electric underfloor heating, etc etc,  but more importantly it will probably generate more electric than they use per year, wiping out fuel bills and insulating customer from the forecast doubling of energy bills in the next 10 years.

If you're anywhere vaguley near Plymouth call me, or Southampton way call Canoeboy.