Wetroom Electrical Advise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinGil

Reaction score
Hi, I am converting a bathroom to a wetroom. 

I am doing as much of the work myself in preparation for an electrician to connect everything safely to a CU.

I want everything to be an easy job for when he gets here and don't want him to say this can't be done etc.

Can you tell me if any of this is not acceptable?

Room size 2.6m x 2.6m

Height 2.7m

Electric 9kw shower in one corner.

Shower isolation switch double pole 50amp in ceiling 1.7m away from fixed shower head

Pull cord light switch (LED double insulated light) 1.8m away from shower head.

Under counter 2kw IPX4 rated water heater for basin 2.3m from fixed shower head. Electric connection is through wall into adjoining room.

Electric wall mounted towel rail 500W 2.3m from shower head. Wired through wall to fise switch.

Is any of this acceptable or am I right up the wrong track??

If you are going to have a professional connect this up and sign it off you really need to involve him before you start and agree what he is happy for you to do.

They may be happy for you to do first fix, possibly even make some connections as long as they are visible to inspect, but I doubt if you will find anyone willing to just do the consumer unit bit.

After all how would they know you haven't made an error, or that the quality of your work was lacking?

Hi, all wiring will be able to be visually checked and tested as nothing will be connected. 

He will be replacing the consumer unit as well as we have a very old one.

The shower isolation switch is: 'S-LINE 45 Amp Shower Switch Ceiling Pull Cord Comes with 44mm Surface Backbox - Double Pole'

If that isn't up to the job I can happily change it to a 'Crabtree'.

Yes, I agree to involve the electrician. I really wanted to get this on the right line before doing so. I just wondered if there were any glaringly outstanding 'bloomers'!!

I wouldn't fit anything but a Crabtree shower switch tbh, the rest are just POS, 

The only fault I have ever seen on a Crabtree switch is that the flag stopped working. 

Pull cord light switch (LED double insulated light) 1.8m away from shower head.

If you want a light switch in the bathroom and you prefer a standard looking switch than a pull cord, then you could always used a wireless switch, like Quinetic Wireless Switch

or you could always fit a standard light switch... 1.8m is well away from the zones
Yes he could, but it's less wiring and he can put the switch were he wants, if using a wireless one.

It's just another option for him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your comments, it has been helpful and reassuring. I set it all up and see what the electrician has to say!!

Thanks for all your comments, it has been helpful and reassuring. I set it all up and see what the electrician has to say!!
brave man.

you would be wiser to find a spark first.

I instructed somebody recently to completely undo some recent work …. It had been plastered and painted.