What happens after 2330 training?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainee_sparks

Reaction score
Hi

I'm currently at the end of my 2nd year on the 2330 and have been trying in vain to get some advice regarding employment opportunties once this course is complete. The general gist is that city and guilds 2330 is not enough to be a sparks. I have been told I need NVQ Level 3. If this is the case can anyone offer me some advice as to how a 41 year old man, with kids to feed and a wife to support, can get this holy grail level 3 NVQ? I appreciate I will need to get my 17th edition and part P regs also. I have worked onsite and in the domestic market for more than 10 years as a tiler so I know my animal but I don't have any experience as a sparks and I worry that my age is going to hold me back. p.s. I don't look 40 at all (or act it).

Help/advice would be most appreciated.

Trainee_sparks

Someone who knows about modern qualifications will be along shortly I would guess.

All I can say is that not looking your age will be of no help at all , however , not ACTING your age will stand you in good stead for being a sparks, in fact you are halfway there already.

You only have to peruse this Forum to see what I mean.

I , of course , am quite sensible and grown up :C

Trainee-Sparks, What do you men by the term Part P Regs

Part P refers to the Section of the Building Regulations which covers aspects of Domestic Electrical Installations and the Requirements of Self -Certification or Notification of relevant parts of such work........You cant obtain Certification of these Regs as you may well do with B.S 7671 2008 [ 17th Ed ] Regs

You can ;however apply to have your competancy assessed by a Self-Certification Scheme Providor,and if successful become registered allowing you to Self Certify such work without the requirement to directly involve the LABC service.

Hope this helps !

I cannot understand if you have been working as a tiler you would want to be an electrician if you go self employed you will have mountains of paperwork you will be undercut by people that are not registered and quite honestly I think you could probably earn more tiling. But good luck anyway.

default_good%20luck.gif

Hi trainee-sparks,

I began college at 40 in 2006 did 2330 level 2, then level 3, then 2382 17th edition. At 43 applied to Napit passed assesment was told I needed 2391 within a year, so back to college for about 8 weeks passed 2391.

I was still working at a local factory while all this was going on. Half way through the 2391 volunteered for redundancy went self employed and have been working for myself ever since. Averaging 30 hours a week at

At 43 applied to Napit passed assesment was told I needed 2391 within a year, so back to college for about 8 weeks passed 2391.
I'm not 100% on this but I think only napit require 2391, the others only require part p certificate and 17th edition wiring regs...

Hi I'm currently at the end of my 2nd year on the 2330 and have been trying in vain to get some advice regarding employment opportunties once this course is complete. The general gist is that city and guilds 2330 is not enough to be a sparks. I have been told I need NVQ Level 3. If this is the case can anyone offer me some advice as to how a 41 year old man, with kids to feed and a wife to support, can get this holy grail level 3 NVQ? I appreciate I will need to get my 17th edition and part P regs also. I have worked onsite and in the domestic market for more than 10 years as a tiler so I know my animal but I don't have any experience as a sparks and I worry that my age is going to hold me back. p.s. I don't look 40 at all (or act it).

Help/advice would be most appreciated.

Trainee_sparks
i too am an older guy (although not quite as old;) have been 30 now for 2 years:Blushing) at coll doing the 2330 so have similar worries although i have some experience from when i was younger but none recent and

i do see where your coming from mate but surely you didnt expect to walk out of college onto site and earn the same as a spark with 5/10 years + experience lil bit unrealistic wouldnt you say.

but it sounds like your in a great position to go forward as you say you know your animal and as an experienced tiler would have said you are a kitchen/bathroom companys dream as being 'multi disciplined' sortathing and would have thought that would be the best transition while you gain the all valuable experience and can complete your nvq with the jobs your doing as 'oneofthedamned' said there are routes out there.

or even finding a friendly spark to do a bit with while your still learning.

i wouldnt worry mate have a few of these GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

chill your boots youll be reeet

Hi

It was about 5 years ago I decided to retrain as an electrician. I am now 43.

I did the 2330 level 2 and 3 and 17th edition.

Getting experience is the key, I live in London but have family in the trade in the north east so I was up there for a few days a month to get my first hands on.

Then as confidence grew I approached London based sparks and offered myself as cheap labour, to gain more experience.

That went on for about four years.

6 months ago I joined Elecsa, so I could do some of my own work.

I still feel very inexperienced after 5 years, and only take work on I know that I can handle.

I am slowly building up a business based on very good customer service, taking my time and doing a good professional job, at a fair price.

Developing good relationships with other trades is key as they can offer you work. as I can them.

I don't need the NVQ3 I could quite happily trade with out it, but I like the studying and will carry on I am currently studying to do the 2391 and trying to get some commercial experience. and thinking of a degree of some sort.

The NVQ 3 is useful if you want to work onsite and have a JIB grading. You can do the NVQ 3 online. This company does it

http://www.quickstepelectrical.co.uk/

NVQ 3 isn't needed and upon successful completion of 2330 L3 you can consider yourself 'paper qualified' at the very least. I did the 2330 and then my 17th and from there joined NICEIC. I don't have 2391 yet but would like to, although I do think I have a sound idea of testing and inspection - also testing on a daily basis.

NVQ 3 is handy if you want to work for a JIB company as they will class you as 'qualified' with that although it is their own preference and so far not having it has not stopped me from gaining any jobs with employers. It simply means that if you do not have it and join a JIB company, they can get away with paying you a lower rate and class you as an 'electrical improver' (Ha!).

Good luck with it, confidence grow with experience. A lot of us started in our 30's and remember the most important thing - treat every day like a school day!