What is the point of the RCD?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
What is the point of the RCD? I ask this in the hope of instigating an intelligent debate, recently there was a post on a forum somewhere about an issue with an RCD under test. The chap had tested an RCD, by plugging his tester into a socket outlet and the RCD had failed to trip within the required time. He had tested at the device's outgoing terminals (load disconnected) as per GN3 and it tripped within the time required.

He was querying whether this device should remain in service, I said that I would be unhappy if it didn't trip at the "point of use" and therefore be inclined, in the absence of any other reason for it not to trip at the socket to replace it. My argument being that I would not like to have to stand up in court and state "yes your honour, I'm aware of the fact that the RCD didn't trip when tested at the socket, but it did at the board" . It seems pointless having a device that is widely regarded as a safety device if it doesn't work at the point it's needed, Imagine fitting a car with airbags then saying, "oh by the way, they won't deploy in a crash if you have the radio on, or the wipers working".

Most domestic installations require RCD protection as more often than not the method of installing the cables doesn't meet the criteria for not requiring RCD's, depth of cables, construction of wiring system etc. Now we are all aware of what the requirements are, so I'm not going to go into them here, however I would like to throw the following open to debate and see what we come up with, I'm not trying to prove who's cleverer than who or who knows the regs better than who, that's not the point of this, it is merely the point listed below.

Now as far as I'm aware the only requirement of an RCD when being tested is, that it must trip within the stated time for the particular device rating, there is no mention of or indeed requirement to record an actual measured tripping current on the test sheet, in fact there is not even a place to record it. Also afaik there is nowhere that states an RCD must trip when the test is performed at a socket outlet, in fact GN3 tells you to perform the test at the device itself. So if the only concern is whether the device trips at it's terminals then what is the point of fitting them? We are told that if we fit a normal ring final in an ordinary house in the normal way, I.E 2.5 t&e in capping beneath plaster, then that circuit must be protected by an RCD. This we are told is to afford protection in the event somebody drives a nail into the cable for example, now if there is no requirement to test said device for correct operation at some point on said circuit, and even worse that we are told that provided the device trips when tested at it's terminals then it is fine, subject to meeting the required trip times then what is the point of the device? If it doesn't trip when tested at a socket then how do we know it will trip if somebody drives a nail into the cable it is "protecting" , we don't do we? There was also a comment made by someone that "certain devices can affect the tripping of RCD's when they are on the same circuit", does that again not come back to my "airbags and wipers" analogy?

As I said guy's I don't want this to turn into a points scoring exercise, or for anyone to start having a go at anyone, re their interpretation of the regs, what my point is, is given the way things are worded, note I said worded, not interpreted, what exactly is the point of the RCD?

the idea behind them is a good one and i think it would be madness to get rid of them all together, although there does seem to be too much reliance on them. but there is some serious flaws in the testing and design of them. personally, if i tested an RCD at the end of the circuit and it failed but it passed at the RCD where you supposed to test, then id still say that was a failure and replace (if new) or recommend replacement (if existing).

the simple fact they they require testing periodically by the user (unlike MCB & fuses that do not need anything) imo suggests a design issue common to all of them.

maybe they should concentrate on improving what we already have instead of coming up with other lettuced like arc fault breakers...

I'd be looking at why the same test on a different location on the same circuit failed. Is the circuit really on the RCD?

cheers, Paul

But is it not like the seatbelt argument that used to be banded about, disclaimer, I have no data to back up my next statement.

anyway the seatbelt argument used to go along the lines that in say 95% of RTC's the seat belts would save lives but in the other 5% they would cause worse internal injuries than if they weren't wearing them.

Back to RCD's isn't it better to fit them as in most cases they will work to our advantage.

Andy, I'd do likewise, if it doesn't work at the point it is needed then what is the point in fitting it?

Paul, as I said, assuming that testing reveals no reason for the RCD not to trip when tested at the socket then surely you should replace it?

The problem is these days that a lot of younger or less experienced electricians tend to take what they are told as gospel and it would be interesting to see just how many of these devices are out there that do trip when tested at the origin but fail to trip when tested in circuit. The other issue is as Andy pointed out, what about relying on the quarterly "push button" test, how many people actually do it?

I do my standard electrical tests from a point on the circuit, followed by a ramp test, finally I push the test button, never press button before doing the electrical tests, I've heard stories before of them sticking and only tripping on meter test after they've been tripped via the button. If there's any issue then I want to know about it and deal with it appropriately. 

I test RCD's at any convenient point.

The requirement in BS7671 is to test them at their connection points, with all loads disconnected.

This is there for a reason.

The test instrument is very basic.

It applies the test current and monitors the voltage, once the d2v/dt2 value exceeds a certain threshold it starts a timer, and once the V drops below another certain value it stops the timer, this is the disconnection time.

The reason for the "no loads" is because loads, and wiring, can introduce capacitance onto the output, which will delay the dv/dt decay such that it will cause discrepancies in the disconnection time measured.

I agree that the device should perform as required in it's most onerous scenario.

However, JPEL64 & the IEC committee 64 both have decided that it is merely the performance of the device, not the device in circuit which matters, because, there is no way to verify the performance of the device in circuit, which assesses only the performance of the device.

When you think about it, on a socket outlet circuit no-one knows what can be plugged in, so, one can't test for things that one can't assess.

There is an interesting reliability paper issued by I think BEAMA on RCD reliability and it is, realistically damming of the RCD.

I did ask a few months ago, if anyone could provide concrete examples of RCD's failing test, under what conditions, how many, when & where etc.

I didn't get many answers TBH.

Yes there was, and still is an ulterior motive, that I can't divulge, more than to say it would be in the best interests of the trade to document this.

another thing that doesnt make sense, older RCDs must disconnect within 200ms yet the newer ones are 300ms

And often a lot of inconvenience for the users
yes but many fault finding jobs where RCd is tripping has been a problem that isnt too serious now but left alone could be a lot worse later

I did ask a few months ago, if anyone could provide concrete examples of RCD's failing test, under what conditions, how many, when & where etc.

Yes there was, and still is an ulterior motive, that I can't divulge, more than to say it would be in the best interests of the trade to document this.

How many were you expecting? I still haven't heard anything about the failure of the component in the RCBO's mentioned in a recent thread, I am surprised this hasn't been a more widespread issue and I was expecting there to be some recall notice on this if 3 blokes on a forum could identify the issue in a few posts.

another thing that doesnt make sense, older RCDs must disconnect within 200ms yet the newer ones are 300ms

yes but many fault finding jobs where RCd is tripping has been a problem that isnt too serious now but left alone could be a lot worse later

Not sure I agree. Damp in garden lights..... Not exactly serious!

How many were you expecting? I still haven't heard anything about the failure of the component in the RCBO's mentioned in a recent thread, I am surprised this hasn't been a more widespread issue and I was expecting there to be some recall notice on this if 3 blokes on a forum could identify the issue in a few posts.

It's a bit like the lack of justification for the AMD 3 metal CU's ..... Mainly down to cheap nasty components imho.

It's a bit like the lack of justification for the AMD 3 metal CU's ..... Mainly down to cheap nasty components imho.

The only recent RCD failure I can recall was following customer complaint of frequent nuisance tripping, then unable to reset at all....

can't remember the trip times...

But ramp test was showing trip at between 6ma to 9ma...

Wylex 30ma 80A double pole 61008.

Item replaced, problem solved..

date of fault 28 Oct  2016.

(Traditional domestic semi-detached property... 'older' split load board...  lights non-RCD.   Sockets, Shower & Garden supply RCD protected.)

Guinness   

I remember when doing my 2391in 2002 (iirc) of the tutor/examiner warning of this, that in the future everything would become reliant on protection being covered by a very fault prone device known as an RCD, and proper installation by competent persons that actually understood protective measures becoming obsolete,

has it come to pass,?

I'd say so.,,,,,   :C

@Sidewinder 

Did you sticky that RCD thread?

The only failure I have found recently was a crabtree RCBO that had been reset many many times, I opened it up and it was completely black inside. :|

@steptoe

They are looking to replace us with machines made by the some people who brought us the combustible consumer unit then the non combustible consumer unit which is still combustible.

Good workmanship is always going to the safest way but it makes no profit for the companies that make the lettuced components and those who make the rules.

meh.

👻

Last edited by a moderator:
RCDs have certainly saved me from a few serious belts, and most other electricians I know. Irritating and unreliable though they can be, I would not like to see their demise.

RCDs have certainly saved me from a few serious belts, and most other electricians I know. Irritating and unreliable though they can be, I would not like to see their demise.

Agree

What I would like to see, is the back of the dual RCD board - to say RCBO's for sockets and heavy appliances, then the remainder on a RCD - or better still, RCBO boards....

Latest posts