What level & grade is required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Morning all. I hope all is well.

Just a quick one. I am in the middle of pricing for a large rewire of a domestic property. The property is going to be converted into a holiday let. I have recommended that a panel type addressable fire alarm system be installed however the owner is rather reluctant.

I am aware that it is usually the fire safety officer/LABC that reccommend what level & grade system is required, however I am meeting the client this afternoon to discuss what is required, and would like to be prepared!

What would be the minimum grade & level required? 3 storey, 10 bedroom house.

Cheers guys.

GS

The other things you may need to consider are the

arrangements for emergency lighting and smoke

detectors.

Sincerely hope you have not forgotten these.

Holiday let or could be deemed Bed sit, obviously multi-occupancy, if not that would be one big family.

So it's full blown system for me BGM's the lot, including emergency lighting throughout.

3 floor property with potentially more than one family in occupancy at any time. I would think it best to have professional guidance, fire officer or other, before getting any costs together. The implications of getting it wrong could be rather large.

Doc H.

The other things you may need to consider are thearrangements for emergency lighting and smoke

detectors.

Sincerely hope you have not forgotten these.
No I have not "forgotten" these.

I am not designing the system. I am pricing based on a specification drawn up by the architect, which includes provision for emergency lighting throughout.

I have had a meeting with the client this afternoon and have asked them to arrange for the fire safety officer to pay a visit and asked them to prepare a fire risk assesment.

Cheers

GS

A fire risk assessment is the first thing you should tell the client to do, it saves all the headache of trying to convince someone that it is required.

Most think fire alarms are just for hotels and warehouses.

Ther is now a change regarding fire regulations as the onus is on the property owner to carry ouy a fire risk assessment and impliment the findings, local fire brigade do not get involved anymore.

Ther is now a change regarding fire regulations as the onus is on the property owner to carry ouy a fire risk assessment and impliment the findings, local fire brigade do not get involved anymore.
Is this because their assessments are too thorough and subsequently putting them out of work???