WHAT STOCK TO CARRY IN THE VAN?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you need it for security I reckon you can save a lot of set up money by using an estate car rather than a van. 5 doors gives good access to all your stuff so your packing density is much greater. I reckon I can get as much useful stuff in my Citroen Xantia estate as I did in the Renault Traffic van I used as an employee as no central passage needed for access.

Couple of Vistaprint magnetic signs and it's a bargain!

When i emptied my van ( still had full racks & a few bits and pieces on the floor) a few months back i was making a trip round the M25. I was taking it easy and averaged 49.9 MPG. This week fully loaded & ladders on the roof i am getting around 36 MPG on the motorway.

Wow, have you got any plugs or cable clips!!!!!

That's the neatest van in the world....

I'm gonna take a pic of mine tomorrow and chuck it on a new thread , in fact I might do a poll for rear of the year!!!!! Who's in?????

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:36 ----------

When i emptied my van ( still had full racks & a few bits and pieces on the floor) a few months back i was making a trip round the M25. I was taking it easy and averaged 49.9 MPG. This week fully loaded & ladders on the roof i am getting around 36 MPG on the motorway.
Mine does about 25mpg.... And it's automatic so I think that's probably more efficient as it probably changes gear when it should rather than when I have finished texting!!!!!!

I think a pic in the dark of my van may save any embarrassment

van.jpg

I do like to keep my van tidy, the wife says i have an OCD with cleaning.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:44 ----------

Ah slips if you hold the screen at the right angle you can just make it out.

Is that the chandelier technician????
funny thing is i did a chandelier last weekend while fitting it i was chuckerling to my self and customer said what you chuckering about then said did you see that episode

absolute classic

mose man

as said, no matter how much you carry you still wont have what you need, and you will never have a big enough van to carry it all anyway.

Ive only got a little van so I try an judge my stock and tools by the type of job I am going to.

do you really want to be carrying lengths of trunking or conduit around? it soon gets very 2nd hand looking.

basics, sockets / switches/pendants, some cable and thats about it really, there are about 10 different patterns of cooker switch alone if you want to carry them all, and they wont interchange.

Good info from Steps - it's surprising how little you need to cope with emergencies - if it's a paying job get the stuff direct from the wholesaler before you go. In industry it's the Just In Time philosophy. Get it wrong however it's the Just Too Late implementation!

Hi AllI am not far off from qualifying as an electrician (with New Career Skills Ltd if anyone is interested) and will seek domestic work as a self employed individual. I need to start thinking about a vehicle and what essential stock I should always be carrying.

Does anyone have a stock list of goods that they carry on board and are willing to share with me and others in a similar position?

Also any recommendations for a van to get?

Finally, I will need to pack the stock into the van, so do you have a photo of your van's layout that you are willing to share?

Many thanks
Have you ever done any electrical work for anyone in the past where you have had to plan a job then drive to their property before you can actually connect anything up?

Reading your post I get the impression not? (maybe wrong)

Anyhow to answer your question we really would need a bit more information as this is another of those areas that a lot of people doing fast-track courses end up falling flat on their faces.....

because they haven't got a clue about actually running a business...

They have some paper certificates stating they have a basic minimum understanding of the regs....

but no idea of the physics and science behind many of the essential electrical calulations...

no idea about how to properly design a job...

no idea about how to plan what materials and tools are needed to complete that task...

and no idea about what practical everyday hands on electrical work involves...

and minimal ability to discuss and establish the most cost effective solution for a customers requirements...

Anyhow.... you need to be thinking of:-

1/ What geographical area do you want to cover? how many square miles on the map do you envisage as your work patch?

2/ From (1) How many wholesalers and outlets are there in your work patch? What hours are they open?

3/ If your proposed work area is 400miles2 (20x20) and the nearest wholesaler is 15 miles away and only open Mon-Fri.. you need a bigger van with more stuff...

4/ If your proposed work area is 25miles2 (5x5) and there are 4 wholesaler each within a mile, open 7 days a week.. you need sod all! cuz as davetheglitz quite rightly says... Most successful industries nowadays work on just-in-time stock levels..

5/ Excluding ladders, the average electricians tools for typical domestic work would fit in the back of a ford fiesta.. maybe a vauxhall corsa!!

6/ Materials are dependent upon the work.. Commercial and industrial work will be more likely to be using heavy gauge materials larger cable sizes, trays conduits etc.. Whereas domestic would typically be a smaller stuff.. few coils of T&E do not take up much room.. e.g. compare 100m of 2.5mm T&E and 100m of 4core 16mm SWA! look at the size of a box of cable clips for flat T&E compare it to cable glands and cleats for SWA... (Its not rocket science!!!)

7/ What sort of domestic work are you thinking of???? Council rented properties... dive in.. dive out quick fix surface trunking surface accessories... or private homes.. longer job, more care neater work concealing cables, flush fittings? can make a big difference on what common items you will be using?

8/ How fast a response do you seriously think you will need to do.. customer calls.. you are there working within same day? or customer calls you do quote/estimate visit to suss the job out, give a price do the work a week later? Anything where you have a day or two before commencing work normally gives plenty of time to organise and collect any materials you need.

9/ Golden rule for start-up businesses.. KEEP OVERHEADS LOW... so the answer to your question is Minimum kit possible, A selection of screws fixings, tape, straps, connectors etc... But accessories why carry stuff that can be damaged that you are not going to convert back into profit within a week?

10/ Where is the vehicle going to be stored? if its not in a locked garage.. you will probably have to empty it every night!

More gear = PITA.. less gear = easy! Tools insurance will probably not be covered if left in a vehicle overnight!

TBH any person who has ever done the odd job (for profit or a favour) for someone a few miles away will soon suss out what they need to keep with them and what is just clutter!

Guinness

I started working for myself last year, i would agree, you just carry the basics a good brand of white accessories various switches sockets etc; a good set of fixing materials like screws, silicone etc. I always carry earth rods, a sheet of ply for working in lofts, a pipe carrier was a great buy instead of using a roll of tape every time i strapped conduit or trunking to my roof rack. I also installed an invertor direct to my battery for charging drill batteries etc. Most jobs i quote for are done a few days or a week later so you have time to plan what items you need. It's like everything else thats new, it will take time to suss it out. When you keep running back & forth to the suppliers for the same items you'll eventually keep them in stock.

Keeping your van neat & tidy you'll be able to find things straight away. I prefer to chuck everything in, taking hours to find that gland or breaker stabbing myself with drill bits as i'm trying to get to the back of my van:|

I have worked out of estate cars for the last 15 years or so. Presently it is an reg VW Golf Estate.

Little giant ladder in boot, Tools And MFT. Drills and stuff. Emergency box of a couple of sockets, switches, wagos and boxes, dl boxes, mita mmb 251, 252, 252s,. Crimps and crimper. Small selection of 'get you out of the carp stuff' MCBs, Henleys, REC2, REC4 bit of tails, cooker switch, pull switch.

Use the Wholesalers as your warehouse NOT your garage/van.

I carry another box of 'hard to source locally' stuff....data, comms, fibre, etc.

Horses for courses [as ever]. I have just done 2 weeks in that Scotland on a shop refit. All materials sent to site, found two wholesalers local to site and checked there stock profile before setting off. Anything that could not be sourced locally was either sent on a carrier or taken with me.

I have a box in garage full of contactors, relays, controls etc. If I get called to fix a machine I take the box, otherwise it stays off the car. Same with Fire Alarms etc etc

Never had a problem with doing it this way.

Everybody has their own method, this is the one that works for me.............. :coat

10/ Where is the vehicle going to be stored? if its not in a locked garage.. you will probably have to empty it every night!

More gear = PITA.. less gear = easy! Tools insurance will probably not be covered if left in a vehicle overnight!
Tools Insurance Online, UK seems they will cover tools in a locked vehicle

i actually just carry a coupe of sockets, and switches in my normal tool bag as standard. it saves time going back to the vehicle to get them, and they take up no space at all. I only stock MK stuff. I also have a couple of stanley carry cases to keep couplers, grommets, bushes, earth clamps, MET blocks etc

This thread is full of amateurs!!! There's no way I would be efficient enough carrying what some of you guys do!!! You must waste more juice and time trailing back and forth to wholesalers...