what type of earthing system is this?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wayhey i acually got my computer to do something i wanted it too.

lol. ill take some more pics when i go back tommorrow. its had a new CU in the last few years,split load rcd one side, unproected the other.

I would not think it is tns on overhead as earth comes off armour on tns. Maybe originnally it had two phases and one of the phases has been changed to earth. A few pics would help. Batty
WRONG

cable sheath is only 1 form of Terra Neutral SEPERATE,

note the word seperate, simply means its not combined.

flying blind and without knowing Z between LN as well as LE I would stab an educated guess at TNS.

WRONGcable sheath is only 1 form of Terra Neutral SEPERATE,

note the word seperate, simply means its not combined.

flying blind and without knowing Z between LN as well as LE I would stab an educated guess at TNS.
In my area the options of earthing are

TNS two cores in cable four for three phase earth comes of armour of lead cable.

TT two cores coming into property overhead generally these could be pme as earth is combined with neutral at cut out.

TNCS usually single or three core cable with armouring being used as neutral and combined earth.

I have never seen a TNS system on overhead in my area.

As for my thoughts on pme. I think it is safer than TT . I have been to two jobs recently where earth has been bad due to faulty connection at rod. If property is on plastic water main the rod is going to be your only earth so if it gets disconnected how is owner going to know. Its what electric boards provide due to cost of cable so we have to make do with this. I am not for or against it.

batty