What would you do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Been to view a new install (first fix on Tuesday), supply put in this morning.

Nice new ampey meter & service cutout (nice blokes never sealed the uot terminal on the meter :D ) & in pencil scrawled on the wall EFLI 0.29.....no pme label on backboard....nothing on the paperwork left with the customer to say pme.

So would you just go along with the efli being low enough & assume pme or TT the install.

Me I was gonna TT it if I got no joy from SSe.

Well I called SSE & was given the number of the lads that put the supply in & was told by the girl on the help desk & the lads who did the install, when I managed to get hold of them;

"It's now common practice for sparks to measure the efli & if it's below 0.35 connect the customers installation as pme (tnc-s)"

"I left it written on the wall for you & we dont put the lables up now on new supplies as they are all pme."

M107m

Most boards give pme if below .35ohms unless farm or other installs. I would treat is as pme. some put pme lables on others don't perhaps they run out.

Save putting rod in. Wheres Steptoe he will tell you to rod it.

Batty

Regulation 28 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations requires the distributor on request to provide in writing what type of earthing system is applicable to the connection.

The comment about all our installations are PME is a crock of u know what as there is no way this can be true unless there are no overhead lines in there area, I think not!!

Some accountant is trying to save a penny by not supplying a sticker

Regulation 28 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations requires the distributor on request to provide in writing what type of earthing system is applicable to the connection.The comment about all our installations are PME is a crock of u know what as there is no way this can be true unless there are no overhead lines in there area, I think not!!

Some accountant is trying to save a penny by not supplying a sticker
Are you saying you do not get pme on overhead.

Batty

The comment about all our installations are PME is a crock of u know what as there is no way this can be true unless there are no overhead lines in there area, I think not!!
providing the neutral meets certain conditions, i.e staked at regular intervals etc, it can be used as a CNE

Are you saying you do not get pme on overhead.Batty
Not at all Batty but there is a strong chance that in a rural area where the 3 phase comes overhead from a 3.3Kv pole mounted step-down transformer that the distributor will not provide a PME supply.

As KME says they are supposed to label it PME , how do we know if they have their rods in along the network. Your case sounds like they are using contractors to put the service in and they are not following the accepted methods. The Ze penciled on the wall is not very official is it .

AFAIC the last thing I want to do is put blooming rods in , what a pain, but we get it more and more here as the network cable joints are losing their earth continuity in the ground.

Deke