What would you do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
Well, I have 1 week left of my notice, I then pick up my redundancy. I still have no job to go to, however, next week (5 days) I have 3 second fixes to do (take about 2 days), a first fix on a new kitchen (1-2 days) and a first fix for 4 new electric heaters (1-2 days). I am also entitled to a day off during the week!

I will also have the second fix to do once the kitchen is in (up to 2 weeks later).

Even with my bad calcs, I can see I won't be able to fit all this in a week.

My current boss says he will ask me in when the 2nd fixes are needed.

This is all very well if I don't have another job to go to, as I will need the money, but should I? ?:|

how much work is in the '3 second fixes'?youll probably be needing loads of overtime to get that done in a week
what about lights is it because of the heat they can let off

Interesting, Beemer, first , sorry you are losing your job, next , my knee-jerk reaction to your boss would be , I don't work here anymore, 2nd fixes are now your problem, I just had the boot, remember !! In fact you should be using the remaining time to , hopefully, find another job not worrying about his 1st fixes !! However it may be swallowing your pride time and doing the 2nd fixes, money is money when you aint got none coming in. Take my word for it, times are hard.

The other thing that crosses my mind is , is he ending your employment "on the books" so he can get you back on a self-employed basis ??

Deke

my knee-jerk reaction to your boss would be , I don't work here anymore, 2nd fixes are now your problem, However it may be swallowing your pride time and doing the 2nd fixes, money is money when you aint got none coming in.

The other thing that crosses my mind is , is he ending your employment "on the books" so he can get you back on a self-employed basis ??

Deke
My knee jerk reaction too! but as you so rightly point out money is money!

However, if he wants me back on a self employment basis, will it be just for these 2 fixes ? If so, it won't be worth the outlay of insurance just for the two jobs!

Monday morning will be interesting, when I ask him!

If you did go back to do them, I would'nt worry about insurance, theres a lot of self employed with no insurance. Just do 'em take the money and run. He may want to offer you other work on a price so be prepared, it may be him or nothing at the moment>

Deke

If you did go back to do them, I would'nt worry about insurance, theres a lot of self employed with no insurance. Just do 'em take the money and run. He may want to offer you other work on a price so be prepared, it may be him or nothing at the moment>Deke
It is at the moment!!! :(

Result! (sort of), I have been extended a week with a view to keeping me longer! Still looking for a new job, but now have longer to find one!