What would you do???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of rhetorical question, as I already KNOW what I`m going to do - just thought some of you may like to comment.

Asked to do a PIR on a small semi - been rented out for last 3 years. When I arrived, I note an inspection sticker from 2 years ago. Given that there were missing blanks to the CU, I ignored that for the minute, and did the PIR (unoccupied).

The lighting doesn`t have CPC; class 1 switches / fittings (including bathroom zone 2). No main bond to water; mains smokes poorly installed, with CPCs cut back and terminal covers missing. Labelling, sleeving of conductors etc (including within CU) ; and smokes not on RCD (cabling in wall <50mm).{n.b. CU is cheapo split-load, main switch + RCD}

So, I make out my PIR - unsatisfactory (naturally). I speak to the owner, and casually ask if he has the previous PIR. Shock horror, he DOES!!! :x

The guy is a (current) member of a scam provider; and installed 2 double sockets when he was there, so I have a PIR and an EIC. If I didn`t know better, I`d swear it was from a different property. These were on the previous guys PIR:

1. "satisfactory". No items mentioned on the "obs. & recommends".

2. somehow, he managed to decide the lighting is 1.5mm(phase) / 0.75mm(cpc), and did an r1+r2 and a Zs test.

3. He`s indicated that main bonding was present to gas AND water, in 16mm(16mm out of CU, 300mm to henley, 10mm surface trunked to gas).

4. His circuit schedule is for a twin RCD board?????

As for the EIC; it doesn`t have a serial number on it. (FYI, the PIR serial number was 00015)

So, in my position, what would YOU do??

KME

sorry - missed a bit. TT install, Ze on original cert 43.4 ohms, Zs (DB)=43.4 ohms. In reality, the Ra is 243 ohms; but Zs(DB) is substantially similar. Blank boxes all over the schedule of test results ( Breaking rating of MCBs, max Zs figures etc.)

Recommend to owner to make formal complaint to Previous contractor and copy to His scheme provider if he IS registerd with them.

:red card

actually...

You know.....

that PIR sounds like the one me and Deke wrote while having a few beers in his lounge when I was returning the Green stilletoes....

(after I repaired the heel wot you broke mr 'K' mr 'M' mr 'E'X()

anyway we did check the house out using Google street view....

zooming in through the windows the pendants looks ok to us????

wats the problem.... customers happy we were paid....

and we did Phone ANDY to check on a couple of the PIR codes so it must have been good!!!!!!......

Is your action to SHOOT the cowboy?

thats is the right answer No? :| ?:|

That is almost worthy of ringing the Don up getting him and the boys back out of retirement!

I am sure Patch will ring him if you ask nice...

GuinnessGuinness

I would guess that nothing would happen, I think its best to PIR what you see , the old one is now history, although he got away with it. you did your bit right ,thats what matters.

I seem to remember doing that one with Specs , both dressed up and looking like those two from Ab Fab after a night on the pee , I tested it all out with my bell set , poor reading on the earh rod till Specs relieved himself over it.

I would guess that nothing would happen, I think its best to PIR what you see , the old one is now history, although he got away with it. you did your bit right ,thats what matters.I seem to remember doing that one with Specs , both dressed up and looking like those two from Ab Fab after a night on the pee , I tested it all out with my bell set , poor reading on the earh rod till Specs relieved himself over it.
good job we had that spare crate of KME's best GuinnessGuinness

to help fuel the watering hose......

didn't the Ra go down by 78ohms on that one Deke? ?:|

AND ..

you had to send Brian off to get new batteries for the meter! :C

Sort of rhetorical question, as I already KNOW what I`m going to do - just thought some of you may like to comment.Asked to do a PIR on a small semi - been rented out for last 3 years. When I arrived, I note an inspection sticker from 2 years ago. Given that there were missing blanks to the CU, I ignored that for the minute, and did the PIR (unoccupied).

The lighting doesn`t have CPC; class 1 switches / fittings (including bathroom zone 2). No main bond to water; mains smokes poorly installed, with CPCs cut back and terminal covers missing. Labelling, sleeving of conductors etc (including within CU) ; and smokes not on RCD (cabling in wall <50mm).{n.b. CU is cheapo split-load, main switch + RCD}

So, I make out my PIR - unsatisfactory (naturally). I speak to the owner, and casually ask if he has the previous PIR. Shock horror, he DOES!!! :x

The guy is a (current) member of a scam provider; and installed 2 double sockets when he was there, so I have a PIR and an EIC. If I didn`t know better, I`d swear it was from a different property. These were on the previous guys PIR:

1. "satisfactory". No items mentioned on the "obs. & recommends".

2. somehow, he managed to decide the lighting is 1.5mm(phase) / 0.75mm(cpc), and did an r1+r2 and a Zs test.

3. He`s indicated that main bonding was present to gas AND water, in 16mm(16mm out of CU, 300mm to henley, 10mm surface trunked to gas).

4. His circuit schedule is for a twin RCD board?????

As for the EIC; it doesn`t have a serial number on it. (FYI, the PIR serial number was 00015)

So, in my position, what would YOU do??

KME

sorry - missed a bit. TT install, Ze on original cert 43.4 ohms, Zs (DB)=43.4 ohms. In reality, the Ra is 243 ohms; but Zs(DB) is substantially similar. Blank boxes all over the schedule of test results ( Breaking rating of MCBs, max Zs figures etc.)
that story sounds a bit familiar....

clicky

unfortuantly, there are many who will just issue a satisfactory, often without even leaving the van (or house by the look of some of them!)

Hey - Deke.

Regarding the recent post about the lady who was killed when her bath taps became live, (`pache - I can`t find the damn thing!!!) and the report of the coroner`s disbelief that regular inspections aren`t law.

I just re-read Andy "clicky" above; and Mrs. KME & I noted your post:

A while ago I was asked by the area manager of a local large estate agents if I was interested in doing surveys for them on empty properties, how long will they take and how much.I told him 1/2 day , at whatever my rate was then, written report issued.

He told me to forget it, their usual bloke,one of our friends for whom English is not their first language , charges

Surely it could be worth us getting the mail / email address of this guy, and bombarding him with all our horror stories such as this. Our gripes to one another on the forum won`t ever change things - maybe someone like this could???

Whaddya think?
and who is going to translate before sending it to him?!

Getting back to the OP and what would you do?

Me? What would I do?

I would wire up his balls to the RCD and show him that his PIR shows that when the power is turned on the rcd will operate before his balls fry!

Thats what I would like to do.