What's The Trouble Here?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go easy on me, I'm just a trainee - but no supply, I can see a substantial gap to the fuse entry (fairly easy to touch by accident with an earth cable?), and generally it looks as pretty as a cats ring piece. The supply to the DB is smaller cable than from the head, so assuming it goes to some isolator or some such before the DB?

Think I've just spotted what the OP may have been on about (as well as everything else mentioned).

The earth cable from the CU to the henley block looks loose. I've arrived at this conclusion because the top left screw looks flat to the block (so surely no cable secured underneath otherwise it would be a similar height to the other screws), and the bottom left screw is higher than the other screws suggesting it's maybe not tight, added with the fact there's conductor showing on the cable. Had to zoom right in to see it, and could be wrong, but looks loose as you like from the photo at least.

Agree with theBight, loose earthing conductor in MET.

MET not labelled "safety earth connection ..."

Minor issue! Never really seen the point, who goes round undoing green/yellow wires just because there isn't a label saying 'do no disconnect'?
Agreed. About as useful / essential as the "2 colours" label. Anyone who doesn't recognise old and new colours has no business touching it in the first place.

Go easy on me, I'm just a trainee - but no supply, I can see a substantial gap to the fuse entry (fairly easy to touch by accident with an earth cable?), and generally it looks as pretty as a cats ring piece. The supply to the DB is smaller cable than from the head, so assuming it goes to some isolator or some such before the DB?

10/10

Not so easy to spot unless you zoom in! :)

There was a supply all 241v of it.

The Ze was good (0.15) but as you can see over the years this installation has been neglected by all involved, housing association, DNO and the meter maid. 

The loose earth is only in one screw is as the previous monkey left it but as tight as I could get it as the cable wouldn't budge

due to the way it has been dragged through the DB. will probably end up changing it when I go back.

Just another simple job (door entry) turned into a headache!

My guess is if you zoom out there will be a new supply and head and they just couldn't be rsed to remove the old one.

No new supply just old crap.

Is the cast head missing the top cover?

I also am not particularly happy with the exposed L conductors

There are a lot like this where the old cast iron fuse carrier (fused / linked out N) has been removed and a new one installed rather badly.

Is that a split wooden block holding the neutral?

With the sheath and/or insulation removed from there to the head?

Possibly with some tape over it?

Oh..... and Amile has been visiting ;)

Not sure about the wood but it looks ancient and the cable is covered with a thin cloth tape.   :(

id be more concerned with that metal box unistruted to the fence...

What this...

20151205_140929_zps5jjjdwdo.jpg

Was visiting my boy's school and noticed this s****, theres loads of it too but you already know that! ;)

:D

Last edited by a moderator: