When and if I should get an EICR.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omits

Reaction score
Not selling yet. Live in owned by me semi built '75 3 beds. Hoping to de loft extension. Years ago I put in a armored cable feed to the garage via separate trip box indoors. An RCD main box had been installed before I moved in ('11). Should I get a full check on cabling and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

What electrical certificates do you have for the existing installation...
what do they suggest?

Electrical certificates have a box for the recommended next inspection date..

Typically 10years or change of occupancy.. (do you have the EICR from when you moved in?).
But can be less dependant upon the findings of the person doing the inspection and test..

Costs will realistically be proportional to how long it takes x hourly rate..
Which is also proportional to the size of the installation, number of circuits, accessibility to CU & accessories etc..

generally somewhere between half a day to a full day..

I have no cert and one with the Deeds would be good.

There are six circuits, up power (incl water tank), down power, cooker, up lights (goes into loft), down lights, garage feed.

A picture of the CU would help, but normally somewhere in the region of £500.00 for a straightforward EICR with no access or problems that need to be addressed as a mater of urgency, but as soon as a problem is found the costs go up to rectify them.

You don't get an EICR when selling. It is the normal convention that the buyer arranges and pays for any surveys he requires including an EICR. If he asks for one point that out. I as a buyer would never trust an EICR provided by the vendor.

Good point thanks. Surveys when buying must be quite expensive nowadays!

Absolutely! Buyer beware, meaning that it's really only sensible for the buyer to arrange their own survey. That's why HIP reports are no longer needed to sell a house (only the energy ratings info), because sellers are not 100% reliable. Trust but verify ;)

A picture of the CU would help, but normally somewhere in the region of £500.00 for a straightforward EICR with no access or problems that need to be addressed as a mater of urgency, but as soon as a problem is found the costs go up to rectify them.
think youre living in fantasy land with £500. doubt youd even get away with that in london

think youre living in fantasy land with £500. doubt youd even get away with that in london
That's the fantasy land that bought me a second home in France and a very nice sports car.

Also,depends on competence of the tester
I,saw a report yesterday

No smoke alarms FI
No shade ring on bedroom pendant C1
No cover on lounge light C1

General,condition of installation "old style PVC wire"

Fuse is overpopulated

The list goes on
Hold on! What is 'old style PVC cable?' My house is '77 vintage and there is no way I'm changing the cabling. It looks good to me. So waiting for the canons to open up!

No not an issue if in good nick.
I'd would price it at £250, everyone has their prices.... and then there are the estate agent 20 year out of date prices....encouraging remedial works to make it pay.;)