where to go now?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyk

Reaction score
Hi everyone.I'm just coming up to the end of my 2330 level 2 course.

I've been looking around the internet for the last few hours trying to find some help on what I should be doing next.Feeling abit confused I've decided to ask.

I want to become A Domestic Installer Electrican and go out on my own.That includes being qualified as a competent sparky and approving my own work.

I've had some previous experience with domestic work and am pretty sure once I get going I will do fine.Anyhow can someone send me in the right direction on what other qualifications and other possible things I will need in order to do this?

Thanks,

dannyk

to be registered with a scam as a domestic installer

you need c&g 2381 or 2382 ...

Welcome to the forum DannyK. why not tell us a bit more about yourself at the Introduce yourself section. Self employment also involves a lot of general non-electrical skills, bookkeeping, accounts, writing invoices, quotes etc..

Doc H.

Welcome to the forum DannyK. why not tell us a bit more about yourself at the Introduce yourself section. Self employment also involves a lot of general non-electrical skills, bookkeeping, accounts, writing invoices, quotes etc..Doc H.
I've just intruduced myself now moderator,let me know If you would like some more information.And refressing information Thank You.

Hi

You are on the right road but to qualify you will need a Level 3 qualification.

Normally you would go on to 2330 Level 3 and Level 3 NVQ Assessment, I am surprised You have not been given that direction.

2330 is coming to an end but I understand those now with Level 2 will be able to complete at Level 3.

Where did You do your 2330?, If college did they not explain this?

2381 has been replaced by 2382 and is a Level 3 qualification dealing with knowledge of the Regs (BS7671 I.E.E Wiring Regs)

2391 is a Level 3 qualification for Test and inspection

You will need both 2382 and 2391 to be qualified

HiYou are on the right road but to qualify you will need a Level 3 qualification.

Normally you would go on to 2330 Level 3 and Level 3 NVQ Assessment, I am surprised You have not been given that direction.

2330 is coming to an end but I understand those now with Level 2 will be able to complete at Level 3.

Where did You do your 2330?, If college did they not explain this?

2381 has been replaced by 2382 and is a Level 3 qualification dealing with knowledge of the Regs (BS7671 I.E.E Wiring Regs)

2391 is a Level 3 qualification for Test and inspection

You will need both 2382 and 2391 to be qualified
ThankYou very much sparkytim,you have cleared a lot of mist up for me.Just so you know,I am at college and was informed to continue onto level 3 by my teacher but I heard I could just compleat this year and go straight onto 2392 to be a fully qualified domestic installer,obviously not.I thought level 3 was for someone that wanted to work in the industrail area.

So for anyone else that reads this thread.To be a fully qualified domestic installer the full qualifications you need are.

>2330 level 2

>2330 level 3

>Level 3 NVQ

>2382

>2391

anything else anyone else wants to add?

As far as I know Danny, to be a self-employed domestic installer you need 2382 (17th Edition), and 2391 (Inspect & Test), and I think 2393 (Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings), the latter is not needed if you've done 2330 (including level 3 I believe). There's no doubting NVQ 3 and 2330 level 3 would be worth doing incase anything happens in the future (you have to take up employment with a company, etc) but to go out on your own you don't need either of those.

Marc.

As far as I know Danny, to be a self-employed domestic installer you need 2382 (17th Edition), and 2391 (Inspect & Test), and I think 2393 (Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings), the latter is not needed if you've done 2330 (including level 3 I believe). There's no doubting NVQ 3 and 2330 level 3 would be worth doing incase anything happens in the future (you have to take up employment with a company, etc) but to go out on your own you don't need either of those.Marc.
Thanks for giving me a better understanding Marc.What I now understand is there's two ways of going about becoming a self employed domestic installer.

1 way is and I quote.

As far as I know Danny, to be a self-employed domestic installer you need 2382 (17th Edition), and 2391 (Inspect & Test), and I think 2393 (Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings)
The other way is.

>2330 level 2

>2330 level 3

>nvq level 3

>2382

>2391

This way will benifit if you,for what ever reason

(you have to take up employment with a company, etc)
Any one that has read through this and doesn't agree with this or has something else to say,I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

I think it all depends how quickly you want to become self employed. A lot of the stuff in level 3 (that I've learnt so far anyway), could only realistically be applied to commercial/industrial. A lot of cable calcs (voltage drop, installation methods [obviously relevant]), really heavy on 3-phase, adibiatic equation, etc.

If you're in a rush and you've got the practical skills get your 2382, 2391 & 2393 done and go for it. However that extra knowledge might come in handy one day!

The NVQ is looking at your practical skills, use of different wiring systems, health and safety etc. No college work required (except log books etc).

Marc.

A lot of the stuff in level 3 (that I've learnt so far anyway), could only realistically be applied to commercial/industrial. A lot of cable calcs (voltage drop, installation methods [obviously relevant]), really heavy on 3-phase, adibiatic equation, etc.
This is exactly what I thought Marc.Fair enough if you want to give yourself other options other then domestic work but If you are happy making a living doing only domestic then do you really need to take 2330 level 3?

Although After looking at some of the requiments to go onto a 2382 college courses.You will need either 2381 which I know is the replacement/up todate version of the 2382 which makes sense or you need city and guids 2330-07 which is level 2 and 3 combined or city and guids 2360 which I don't know what that is.

So even if I was going to "so called rush things",I wouldn't be able to take the 2382 without having the 2330 level 3 as well as the 2330 level 2 (which your doing 2330 level 3 now Marc)

Looks like the way I now understand at a deeper level then when I first started this thread is.

>2330 level 2

>2330 level 3

>nvq level 3

>2382

>2391

This therfore equals qualified as capable of being self employed.Approving your own work,making a living bang boom bosh

Marc

sparkytim

doc(moderator)

Thanks for all your contributions on my quest to finding my carer path that will equal my end goal.

cheers guys,

Danny

You can take 2382 without 2330 ;) . Have a further look - how do you think these so-called 5 day wonders manage it!

Marc.