Which college course to take?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Luke

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure which college course i should take as a beginner electrician? Also what do all the courses do different from each other?

Electrical - BTEC National Certificate Level 2

Electrical Installation BS7671 - City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition

Inspection, Testing & Certification City & Guilds 2391-10 - Full Cost

You want the City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 to begin with, September will be your last chance to get on this as it's being replaced with the 2357 Level 3 which will include the NVQ. The way Colleges are funded is changing so the cost may vary according to your age.

The 2330 L2 is usually two years, one day a week at college (though many colleges offer it as full time, 3 days a week for a year) followed by a year of 2330 Level 3 & (if you're working in the trade) the 2356 NVQ level 3.

The C&G assure me that it will be possible to progress from the 2330L2 onto the 2357 but the finer details are yet to be thrashed out.

The 2382-10 is a regulations update, designed to update qualified electricians to current regulations, 2391-10 is a qualification in Inspection & Testing, designed for qualified & experienced electricians.

More details on C&G website ; - http://www.cityandguilds.com/1107.html

How old are you? Do you work for an electrical company?

My son has just finished his 2330, that was 3yrs going to college approx 3 times a year for 3 weeks at a time. Just has his AM2 to do next week. He done his thro JTL apprenticeship scheme so didnt cost him or his firm a penny.

It would be worth looking at their website. Not sure of the address but google jtl and i'm sure you,ll find wot you need. good luck mate.

I have put a huge list of colleges together with ALL the info you need, contacts, addresses, website addresses, etc, and a List of the courses that they offer.

The link to them is through the forum homepage (Index page). I have even added a search facility on there too. :)

It depends on what type of skill you intend to reach? Do you want to progress to an installation electrician [City and Guilds 2330]or perhaps go on to be an engineer [bTEC]?

You can still do City and Guilds and progress to become an engineer but will take slightly longer.