Which fluke multimeter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
So guys I need a multimeter, want to keep to the fluke range preferably. Only there are so many to choose from. Which do we recommend? Was looking at the 117,87v, 175,179 any advice??? Wanted one with a vast array of functions as deal with a fair bit of HVAC machinery but also so good for other electrical environments. 

Personally I would not entertain the 117.

I have an 87v.

The 179 is not bad, I think I have one of those too.

It's been so long since I've done any real work because of the cancer, I have forgotten what I have!

I also have an early edition 87V. It was my go to multimeter for years until I bought Hellermanntyton TBM869 which is a rebadged Brymen. The Brymen is superior in almost every respect to the Fluke 87V and it's around half the price. If you don't mind spending a ton of money just for the Fluke name then the 87V would be a good choice for commercial, industrial and HVAC, if you want a more functional tester of equal build quality to the Fluke and at a very reasonable price then check out the Brymen 869.

What leads are you using with it, I’ve read that the supplied ones aren’t too good? 
I have got the Fluke leads with the twist ends to make them GS38 or with a twist you can get them in a small terminal tunnel.  TL70?

Actually TL175 I believe.  CEF have them on their site.  Shop around though.

I have got the Fluke leads with the twist ends to make them GS38 or with a twist you can get them in a small terminal tunnel.  TL70?

Actually TL175 I believe.  CEF have them on their site.  Shop around though.
Yes, these are the only lead I'll use.

I don't mind them being fully exposed for 24vdc, but I like having them extended for 230 or 400v

I was a bit disappointed when my fluke 789 didn't come with these as standard.