Which Storage Heater To Buy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

api

Reaction score
I need to buy a new storage heater for our lounge and I am interested to know which are the best models around for efficiency and looks. Thanks

the physics inside them is all pretty much identical.

So it comes down to the looks and the build quality.

Personally I would avoid all the fancy ones with electronic controls, too much to go wrong and too expensive when it does.

FFS, I fitted 2 this morning, client supplied,

What a complete and utter piece of tat, the elements werent even fixed, simply held in place with the bricks,

And even the bricks were an odd ball size :shakehead

Unfortunately the name escapes me now, I was just glad to get them done with,

IIRC they had something along the lines of ' MAISER' on the front cover,

Avoid them like the plague,

Just had a quick look at the paperwork,

they were ELNUR,

Actually, they were total carp.!!!

Dimplex have been around for quite a while and seem quite reliable. The duo heat ones seem to have a few issues though probably the electronics.

The Denmans ones are pretty good - but Dimplex have a strange returns policy. If you buy the heater and find it has a faulty component or panel the supplier is bypassed completely and you have to deal with Dimplex directly.

I've had this with two Designa showers (Dimplex group) I  fitted recently where they sent engineers round rather than offer replacement.

One was a DS1000 - cheapo for a poor old dear - the temperature knob got stiffer and stiffer until if eventually broke. Dimplex refused to change it as I had to trim the lower casing to allow the pipe to come in from the bottom (most showers have a pull out) and threatened the customer with a bill for their time. Not impressed - replaced the shower out of my own pocket.

The other was a DS3000 with the push button start. This had a leaking heater chamber - but it ended up with the customer having to deal direct. Haven't heard anything since - but the customer was without the shower for a week.

I've resolved never to fit a Designa shower again!

shouldn't cheapskate in the first place Dave
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
. Haven't fitted a designa shower for ages, but I do tend to stick to Mira regardless as I've never had a problem, and you can usually get one of their basic units at a good price.

Mira showers ???

switches and elements changed on 2 showers less than 18 months old pants

my plumber mate fits Bristan

simple no frills ace for rented properties !!!!!

That's what I like about Dimplex, if it fails they send their people round, so you don't lose time or money on their failed product.

I like it that way, I wish all manufacturers operated like this.

Had a Brucks lighting track transformer fail, had to go to site and remove for return to Germany, they said it would be replaced free of charge, yeah well what about our time, I mean for £800 and it's only 800mm long with 3 Glass Pendants on ultra thin cat wire. 

So half a day lost and yet they sell it for £800 and in reality only about £100 to produce.

ive had dimplex out a couple of times they never for duo heats though, they have been very good and replace everything straight away, none of this replacing parts they replace the lot! 

ive had dimplex out a couple of times they never for duo heats though, they have been very good and replace everything straight away, none of this replacing parts they replace the lot! 
I think what got me is that is was 2 out of 2 failures within 3 months of each other - and getting out of replacing one on a technicality - nothing to do with the fault - and threating my poor old dear with a big bill! Not impressed!

shouldn't cheapskate in the first place Dave
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
. Haven't fitted a designa shower for ages, but I do tend to stick to Mira regardless as I've never had a problem, and you can usually get one of their basic units at a good price.
Fair comment - you know me well - but a lot of expensive brands of switches and consumer units (Hamilton cooker switch failure - only ever fitted 2 MK CUs and both had a duff MCB) are no better and if anything worse than the Denmans Designa range. I've previously had no problems with Designa showers - but I won't be revisiting them for a while. I hear the Mira Jump is a nice easy one to install - anyone got any experience?