Why can't people phone??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to look at a job yesterday (SELV extractor fan in shower cubicle) and agreed to do it this morning, bought the bits and went on to the address and knocked on the door..

"Sorry we don't want it doing now! my dad is coming down to have a look at it!"

WTF couldn't they have phoned me either last night or this morning!! X(

Not very nice people. Dad's doing it eh? Is he a spark?

Not very nice people. Dad's doing it eh? Is he a spark?
I doubt it...

so

There will be:-

No RCD protection

No ensuring of connection of main protective earths

No supp bonding (if needed)

A 240v extractor fan within a shower cubicle

No isolator switch

No certificate

No part P notification

I had a feeling it wouldn't go to plan as the daughter was asking far to many questions.

In all honestly I couldn't care what they do, but out of common courtesy they could have given me a ring!

i am find this even more,

i give a customer enough info so that they know i am able to do the job to a high standard with out actually telling them how to do it.

when i do solid fuels i actually charge them for a survey, the last 10 i have looked at went to people or friends that used my information to fit the job.

at 150 pound for a survey i know only get serious people wanting the job doing . :)

survey cost comes off the total of the fit.

another way is to take deposit on all jobs that are accepted, this also gets rid of the idiots.

Customers using my quotes for other electricians really ****es me off!

I take time to make mine clear and professional, but the customer just wants what is best for them eh?

Another pet hate is when i email a quote over and the customer never replies, not even to ackowledge the fact that i have sent it!

i have a m8 and if he suspects this he justs texts them a price on there mobile .. nothing else just a price . :)

i am find this even more, i give a customer enough info so that they know i am able to do the job to a high standard with out actually telling them how to do it.

when i do solid fuels i actually charge them for a survey, the last 10 i have looked at went to people or friends that used my information to fit the job.

at 150 pound for a survey i know only get serious people wanting the job doing . :)

survey cost comes off the total of the fit.

another way is to take deposit on all jobs that are accepted, this also gets rid of the idiots.
I think that's the way it's going to be in the new year anyhow, the only way to sift out the genuine people and not get screwed over!

phohez. I agree

Customers using my quotes for other electricians really ****es me off!

I take time to make mine clear and professional, but the customer just wants what is best for them eh?

Another pet hate is when i email a quote over and the customer never replies, not even to ackowledge the fact that i have sent it!

I agree

Thats the idea of email if proof of delivery required fax it.Or put a tracker on it.

Tell me if you were in a bar and speaking to an accountant or solicitor they would'nt give you advise without a fee.So why do we give out technical info and then they think the work can be done by anyone, people expect free advise because we are nice people.

knowledge and experience is earned not given.If asked in a bar (advice free technical info costs) PS. advice is contact an electrician.

Been around the block before

One job I went to had 2 electricians turn up at the same time.

Lady looked at both of us and said "i'll use you (pointing to the other bloke) and looked at me and said I don't want you"

I charged her

Slight Hi Jack

Baldelectrician May be up your way Mon Tues Jan 2009.

hope it isnt to cold Kilmarnock area,got to stop of at Liverpool on the way.

Birmingham first looks like a long start to the new year.

Thanks for the hi jack

Belectrician turn the juice up dont like the cold anymore.

Make them pay for our knowledge.

Gordon.

Don't give written quotes now (only put things in writing when the client wants to go ahead)

Don't go into too much detail (then they can't get too much info and go to B&Q)

Well I have a customer for whom I rewired the old house & new extension well over 2 years ago now. The only bit that didnt get done was the pelmet lighting in the kitchen, as they were waiting to pick the units/shelving (i did wire for the lights).

"Ok no problem give me a call when you get the kitchen fitted" says I..............didnt expect it to take 2 years.

Yes they have called requesting my attendance this weekend because they have finally had some narrow bespoke shelving made & the lights I supplied are to large to fit under them........"we'd like you to change them & install the replacements as per your agreement, to fit the lights when the kitchen has been installed"

They'll be getting a shock if they think the replacement lights are foc!!