Why?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Do joe public call you round to look at a job & want your advice, then when you give your professional advice they give it the old

" I'd much rather you did it this way, it'll be ok to do it this way wont it"

Like today's one;

He has a large property with a TT supply that he is planning on splitting & then renting out one side as a holiday let.

Wants me to price to run a submain from the service cutout to a new cu in the rental end of the property.

Then he wants all existing circuits separated from old house cu & re-run from the new cu plus the addition of

Shower (9.5kw)

Oven + halogen hob

new kitchen ringmain

4x dimplex heaters

1x smokes circuit

1x immersion circuit

lighting

2nd ringmain

All from the one service fuse, when I said to him he would be better off getting a new supply servicehed & meter for the rented end of the property because of the high load already in use, I wasn't overly impressed with the reply

"we need to keep costs down as we only have 4.5K to get all this conversion work done including the new shower room & new kitchen, so a big bill from the SEB is not an option"

Dont think he'll like my quote then :^O

is this the ethically correct discussion link.Born in Scotland Brought up in England go to Wales,and Jersey like to holiday in florida.

wanted to be a brain surgeon

couldnt afford the toolkit.

why not stick in a 50 amp supply, with overload protection. Tell him that will do, as long as they dont have it all on at once!