Wind turbines

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan

Reaction score
We are thinking about fitting a small home wind turbine to charge a 12 volt battery, and using an inverter to power small appliances in the home, perhaps a small blow heater, etc. Can anybody recommend a wind turbine that works. I would say, we did try one turbine, but inspite of the turbine spinning at speed for some 18 hours, it failed to charge the battery.
Any help please.
Derek

Hi, I too tried a (vertical) wind turbine a few years ago, you were lucky, yours actually span, mine just looked nice, but that was all it did, until I put a drill on it and span it very fast (No, not joking, I wanted to find out did it actually do anything) It did manage to illuminate a 12v LED I had purchased for it. (My idea was to have the light pointing at the turbine, the faster it went, the brighter the light would be.) I moved the turbine to 3 places, in the end I binned it, but after doing more research here is what I found out.

1) You must have it mounted in "free air space" (No buildings anywhere near it, this can be achieved if you put it on a tall pole)

2) You must position it, so it will have a wind speed of at least 5m/second, if you don't you are wasting your time/money.
You can check your wind speed with an anemometer Amazon sell them, cheapest i found is this one (£12)

3) The wind turbine must have bigger capacity than required.

4) Wind turbines state their Maximum output, which is ok, but unless it is very windy all the time, you will never achieve the maximum output, so that is why I suggest you get one with a bigger output than required. (The idea being at lower speeds you will still get something of use.)

5) The average "blow heater" (That is of any use) uses 2kw

6) Any wind turbine that costs less than £500 usually have an output less than 400w

7) I guestimate that you would be looking at a wind turbine costing £4-9K

8) Don't be fooled by the small wind turbines meant for boats, boats often have tall areas to mount a turbine, but they also go out to open water/sea where there are no obstructions.

Please, do your own research, but above is how I found it to be, but it would be nice if you say what you do and how you get on. :)

I looked into this recently to try and power some of the "always on" kit from a renewable source.

I quickly concluded a system sized for the load in summer would be grossly inadequate in winter, and a system sized for winter would be grossly overpowered and waste much of it's generation in summer.

If you just want to reduce your bills, fit solar PV with a grid tied inverter and it will power anything turned on in the house regardless of what it is, and reduce your bills.

Been there, done that and to get anywhere with it the turbine has to be a considerable size and will be very noisy, if you have neighbours, they will object. Solar PV, grid tied inverter and storage batteries is the way to go.

I looked into this recently to try and power some of the "always on" kit from a renewable source.

I quickly concluded a system sized for the load in summer would be grossly inadequate in winter, and a system sized for winter would be grossly overpowered and waste much of it's generation in summer.

If you just want to reduce your bills, fit solar PV with a grid tied inverter and it will power anything turned on in the house regardless of what it is, and reduce your bills.
I was looking at small turbines just to output around a couple hundred watts, but trying to site one in a terrace is more or less impossible, plus they have to run through an inverter to get 240v, so by the time a really basic bit of kit has cost around £1k, I worked out it's cheaper to buy the leccy from the grid.

Shame, I was hoping a savonius type design might give some benefit during the windier autumn and winter months
I was planning on a turbine just for such winter weather, I have my Immersun connected to my underfloor heating in my kitchen. Feeding a few hundred watts into that would make quite a difference as well as wiping out the few items using leccy overnight. But every time I look I just can't make the numbers stack up.

We are thinking about fitting a small home wind turbine to charge a 12 volt battery, and using an inverter to power small appliances in the home, perhaps a small blow heater, etc. Can anybody recommend a wind turbine that works. I would say, we did try one turbine, but inspite of the turbine spinning at speed for some 18 hours, it failed to charge the battery.
Any help please.
Derek
Hi there, out of curiosity, what turbine model, battery and set-up did you have which didn't work please?

Ok chaps, here's some links for anyone serious about thinking about possible investing in some wind!

https://wind-works.org/

I've personally chatted with Paul, I'm not sure there is anything we doesn't know about wind/inverters/blades/generators/brands/failure modes....blah blah blah.

And our own home grow wind expert:-

http://scoraigwind.co.uk/
Again not much Hugh doesn't know about wind :)

ENJOY READING BEFORE SPENDING ON WIND!

Happy reading

Stu

Latest posts