Wireless Connection.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son has just brought a PS Vita he says it needs a wireless connection. At present my router is in my office up the garden from here I have two network cables down to the house one is connected into a switch for internal computer Etc  and the other is free.

What I need is the easiest way to get a wireless signal for the device. Are there things that can be plugged into switches to give a wireless signal or computers I have a couple of bluetooth USB adaptors not sure if these are any use. I could put a wireless router in house then take network cables up to my office but would rather just buy something that can be plugged in if possible just not up on technology. Anybody know what is available please. 

I assume the router in the office has no wifi or the signal wont reach the house ?

If so you need a wireless access point in the house.    Assuming you have a spare port on the router in the office, plug the unused run of network cable into it.  At the house end connect the other end of that cable to an access point like the TP-Link TL-WR702N and connect its power supply.  All fairly easy to set up if you read the instructions fully regarding default wireless passwords printed on the unit etc.  

This will create a wifi access point in the house capable of supporting a few wireless pads, phones etc.

Better faster access points are available but often more complicated to configure.   The one above is cheap, tidy, will cover a couple of rooms and very simple.     Faster /better/longer range performance with e.g. TP-Link TL-WA901ND but much more configuration and pug-ugly

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks That sounds just what we need can they be used for laptops also at the minute my daughter runs a lead from the switch upstairs downstairs when she wants to get on the internet.

can they be used for laptops
If the laptop has built in wi-fi then yes, if not she can buy a wi-fi dongle that plugs into a usb port. But connecting via a cable will be a faster connection.

Below is an Example of a wi-fi dongle

l_21748976.jpg

Yes it will support almost anything that has wifi connectivity.  You could plug the access point into your "switch upstairs" but using the second cable from the office means that the full bandwidth of that cable is available to the WiFi unit.   I don't know the layout of your house but try to get the access point in the middle of the areas of wifi use or if not possible minimise brick walls between users and the access point

Its mainly for my son so will probably plug it into switch in bedroom. The other cable is in my daughter's bedroom so I might move that downstairs that way she can either plug her laptop in or maybe have another one of the points so she can be wireless.

Netgear DG834,

I actually have a wireless one also that I robbed the power supply from as our previous dog chewed through the cable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Google "using second Netgear DG834 as repeater". Or whatever "second" router you have / can get hold off. Think I've a good, spare ex Talk Talk one at home you could have for nowt.

I use two BT Home Hub 3's like this. One as the main router connected via Cat-5 to the second on the other side of the house. The "remote" one acts as a wireless repeater and offers local, hard wired ports too. Works a treat.

I must try this, I have an old netgear sky router, and a a spare talktalk one as well, actually, 2spare talktalk ones if anyone else wants a go at it. 

I didn't see that Martyn was never in office when you were there.

I have been trying to get in touch with you about a hotel that needs a bit of work, just after a bit of advice on RCD's E.t.c