Wiring Accessories

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alextrician

Reaction score
hi there.

i know it sounds silly, but could anyone tell me where to get a list with all electrical wiring accessories and their use. I am more interested in faceplates, switches, all types of backboxes, glands, lightind accessories, etc. Our storeman from college expect us to know the correct name of all these for every new exercise. thank you very much

Denmans catalogue makes agood reference as it lists all the widely avaiable stuff that gets used most often (bit limited for commercial stuff) I have acopy of the MK catalogue - it's immense, and I reckon I haven't seen 95% of contents in real life!

FCU = fused connection unit or fused spur

CCU = cooker control/connection unit or cooker switch.

Take a look at the Electrika site & catalogue, you'll get pictures /part numbers/ manufaturers & prices..................loads of other bits on there aswel.

Quite a good refrence for college bod's

http://www.electrika.com/Home/Home.aspx

thank you very much everyone for your replays. I will look into TLC catalogue for more details there. I fully understand the point that our storeman is trying to make, because we need to learn and use the correct "terminology", but actually no one told us or showed us what a ceiling rose is (that is just basic stuff) now i know what that is...lol

every time that i have to do a material list for a new exercise i am struggling. I (we) were not told that is the difference between metal flush or a knock-out and in what circumstances to use them, when to use a grid switch (just an example).

as I am the second year I got just enough knowledge and common sense when to use plastic or metal. that will be profesionaly sad to pass the exams for this course and not be able to use the right thing...lol

I really appreciate your help.

I used to have a storeman like that when I was an apprentice

We used to take broken whatsit doodahs to the stores to get a new one,,,, the reply that we used to get was "what, you want another broken one?"

sorry I meant the difference between metal knock-out flush box and a metal clad back box
Metal knock out boxes are recessed into solid walls. You knock out the hole and fit 20mm glands. Different depths depending on what you want to fit (dimmers and RCD sockets/Spurs need deeper boxes)

AP655.JPG

Metal clad are surface mounted and designed to be tough. They are used in garages, sheds etc. Stand up to impacts, but not IP rated (no water etc). Often come as a front with a back box. Usually connected using conduit.

MKK2977.JPG

Plastic 'dry lining' boxes are used in hollow walls (eg plasterboard) and have tabs that extend behind the board.

MTMDLB1.JPG

Special kinds are available for soundproofing or to maintain fire rating

WA4135.JPG

This is a ceiling rose

AACR.JPG

Does that help?