Wiring External Light With Built In Pir Sensor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanxo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have wired in my external light with a built in PIR sesnor. The light works perfectly fine and sensing on movement etc. This particular light does not have a manual over-ride (I have tried the switch on off on) which is a bit annoying!

My question therefore is, am I able to wire the light in such a way that I can manually over-ride to stay permanently on when required. All other times the light would just operate from the sensor as per the current set up.

I am running a 1.0mm 3 core from the switch to the light.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Sandy

Hi All,

I have wired in my external light with a built in PIR sesnor. The light works perfectly fine and sensing on movement etc. This particular light does not have a manual over-ride (I have tried the switch on off on) which is a bit annoying!

My question therefore is, am I able to wire the light in such a way that I can manually over-ride to stay permanently on when required. All other times the light would just operate from the sensor as per the current set up.

I am running a 1.0mm 3 core from the switch to the light.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Sandy

"My question therefore is, am I able to wire the light in such a way that I can manually over-ride to stay permanently on when required. All other times the light would just operate from the sensor as per the current set up."....

Well obviously the answer to this question is NO...

As if you were able...

You would not be asking here!!!!!!

For your required operation you need:

1 x Earth

1 x Permanent Live

1 x Switched Live

1 x Neutral...

1+1+1+1 = 4 Cores!!

3 core cable leaves you with 1 core short!!

PLUS..

a lot of lights with integral PIR's do not have access to the Switched Live terminal...

This part of the spec should have been checked before purchase or installtion..

As a rule of thumb...

If purchase a separate standalone PIR for a lamp you will almost certainly be able to achieve your required operation....

But if purchase a lamp with built in PIR it can be a 50/50 chance if you can do what you want with manual override.

:popcorn

I mist admit I first read it when he said "3 core" he meant 3 core & earth.

Obviously if he only has literally 3 cores then no he can't do what he wants without pulling a new cable in.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your response. I will get my electricians to run a 4 core cable in that case. Just had the whole house re-wired so relatively easy to do for them to do. I was hoping I could have fitted a different switch keeping the same wiring etc.

Appreciate your mature and sensible response unlike some of the others!

Regards

Sandy

Silly electricians always leaving their crystal balls at home :)
I almost always connect an outside light with 3c&e so allow for such a thing.

BUT you then have one switch to turn it on or off (PIR) and a second switch for override.

Yes customers still get confused with two switches for one light.

Has anyone ever made a 3 position centre off light switch?  On (PIR) - Off - On (permanent)  

Such a switch exists for control panel or electronic uses but not in a standard wall plate.

Yep, I've done it before.... Can't remember the make of the switch though.... Might be click

Yes Click do a mini grid module MD070WH 3 position switch with a centre off position

They also do a refractive version MD075WH

BUT you then have one switch to turn it on or off (PIR) and a second switch for override.

Has anyone ever made a 3 position centre off light switch?  On (PIR) - Off - On (permanent)  

Such a switch exists for control panel or electronic uses but not in a standard wall plate.
Grid range  Dave .

Numerous times..

Mk Grid 2-way with centre off..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html

Guinness

I think it is only 'us electricians' that tend to omit the earth when talking about cable...different with flex though!

To me ....twin is always twin and CPC .(? I even said CPC instead of earth, and i NEVER mention CPC ever). 3 core is always 3 core and CPC...probably just me being old school and decrepit
Where was this old , decrepit school you went to Kerch .........and are you just saying CPC  to be  hip & " Down wiv the kids "  ?

You'll be wearing those flares again , next. :innocent

Surely at Decrepit Street  Tech. it was "earth wire"   Don't you remember..along with Red Yella Blue Black ... 240 / 440v   and GREEN EARTH WIRE   :red card

Last edited by a moderator:
Where was this old , decrepit school you went to Kerch .........and are you just saying CPC  to be  hip & " Down wiv the kids "  ?

You'll be wearing those flares again , next. :innocent

Surely at Decrepit Street  Tech. it was "earth wire"   Don't you remember..along with Red Yella Blue Black ... 240 / 440v   and GREEN EARTH WIRE   :red card
FFS i remember red white blue black green earth!

Only just though

There's one option nobody's said yet....because the OP said he'd tried this method with his existing light.

A lot of lights with inbuilt PIRs have the internal electronic wizardry to stay permanently on when required. All you need to do is switch the live on and off in quick succession a few times (it usually details this in the installation instructions), and then then light stays on. If you switch it off for usually about 5seconds then it will revert to auto, sensing mode.

Job done - if you have a different light fitting it would seem!

Last edited by a moderator: