Working at Hinkley Point C

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thendzor

Reaction score
Hi there,

Did anyone work at HPC? everyone says that this is a paperwork nightmare...

How much more time shall I allow for the installation compared to working on a standard site?

Thanks for your help!

If it's anything like sellafield almost 1000% more. 

Installation time was same as standard. Paperwork took months. 

Edit: This was for a control system, nothing fancy though and nothing safety related. 

The safety projects I've done there, forget it, unless you're employing someone full time to just deal with paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it will make any difference if that is just a temporary storage building which will be taken down before power station is operational?

Do you think this will make any difference or same procedures will apply?

I designed a test rig, that was situated about 100 miles from the site, just to prove concept. 

Nuclear standards were followed and that was the same experience, what was expected to be a 6 week job took 18 months. 

Who cares when it's the tax payer footing the bill right?!

Thankfully our quotes were based on per hour worked rather than a fixed cost. Sounds great, but it hit us hard as keeping an engineer on an hourly rate isn't cost effective. 

You need to ask what standards you're to be working to before you quote. 

Do you think it will make any difference if that is just a temporary storage building which will be taken down before power station is operational?

Do you think this will make any difference or same procedures will apply?
any big site will be run by rules that apply across the site no matter what the work is being completed. Plus this is no doubt a high security site and that will cause a lot of hassle in its own right. 

Latest posts