Working with Kitchen Fitters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi All,

When you are working with other trades how do you go about pricing? I've been told that your times can double for each job because of access - so do you build that in to the quote or go for a daily rate?

I'm talking to a new kitchen firm down here who reckon they will have 4-5 jobs a month - so would like to know what rate is expected - and whether to give a discount for regular work.

Cheers

Dave

Try to schedule works so that you don't overlap. If the kitchen is bare, then do the first fix, plumbing, plastering, fit units worktops, tile and second fix / test. If you work together to plan the job, then most of the time trades shouldn't be there at the same time to allow everyone a proper run at the job.

I'd be inclined to discuss how the jobs are organised before deciding on a price. If it's going to be chaos, then you will need to price accordingly, but if it's properly organised then it shouldn't impact on your time and price a great deal.

I agree with the above , if they are any good they should organise each trade to fit in . If you are all in there , on top of each other and they , as main contractor, call the tune, you will find you are making more visits than is economical.

I'd base your price on three visits, Strip out & making safe , 1st fix and 2nd fix and hope for the best . Worst senario is possibly a 4th visit , no big deal in the great scheme of things

Deke

i work with 3 kitchen fitters and it always works out well, they usually give you a free run and help as much as they can to get you out of the way so they can crack on, 1st fix day one, 2nd another, sometimes it can all be completed in one visit, they pull cables chase walls for me etc if im late turning up, i even leave 1 to do all pricing now because he's spot on and they always brief owners on rcd, c/u upgrades and bonding issues which used to be a pain explaining before, most importantly they all pay on the day lol

Ive done a few and even have some tilers will screw the fittings back for me if I have second fixed and I leave them some long screws.

can usually work out to be quite good earners.

I have just started to work for one kitchen bathroom fitting company

After three jobs they have finally realised that i need to go in before they start putting the new stuff in

one place no bonding to gas/water

another i had to replace downlighters for a bathroom and wasnt happy with the wiring i could see,,,went up in the loft and spent 4 hrs rewiring upstairs lighting !!!!!!

so who do you charge for that ?????

bathroom company paid up,,

so beware of exsisting wiring

Thanks for the replies. I'm going on a survey with the bloke soon so hopefully we'll get a chance to discuss the points raised. Like Theory I've had bad experiences working with other trades. Quoted for running in cables one day - came back the next day to find all my routes boxed in and nailed down. If it's organised and he pays - should work out OK. Fingers crossed!

NO that's him alright, just hope he doesn't go to any referrals I've given him dressed like that :^O :^O

Talking of which Dave give me a call if you can squeeze a job in next friday Pray

Sorry - that's me playing in my band - Decade5 (decade5.co.uk)!!!!

Hi Binky - next gig is at the Cherry Tree on Friday - All the drinks on us if you fancy a night out!!!

Dave , theres a couple of problems with kitchens and bathrooms. ( I'm sure you are aware of) Thing is you have to be availiable to fit in with the fitters and before tiling etc. If you are lucky they will be sensible and take your problems on board. If they are idiots they fetch you in after the plasterer and all the units in place, some never learn I'm afraid, if they 're good 'uns hang on to 'em .

Dave , theres a couple of problems with kitchens and bathrooms. ( I'm sure you are aware of) Thing is you have to be availiable to fit in with the fitters and before tiling etc. If you are lucky they will be sensible and take your problems on board. If they are idiots they fetch you in after the plasterer and all the units in place, some never learn I'm afraid, if they 're good 'uns hang on to 'em .
The guy I mostly work with gets a shirty on for putting rubbish in his skip. Think we will be parting company soon, he's been sulking for weeks about something but isn't prepared to say what :( , and I've got enough work to loose him as a customer :)

The guy I mostly work with gets a shirty on for putting rubbish in his skip. Think we will be parting company soon, he's been sulking for weeks about something but isn't prepared to say what :( , and I've got enough work to loose him as a customer :)
He probably thinks you're too expensive, a lot of them think its only them who should be earning the bucks. Or hes going ponto :_|

Who wants to work with a sulky sod all the time ! As long as you're not shooting yourself in the foot, Binky

Deke