Wylex recall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I fitted a couple of Wylex 32 amp RCBO's a couple of years back on a Kitchen upgrade. One for extra sockets and points for machines and the other a cooker circuit. I got called out as the socket circuit has been intermittently tripping out.

So went to have a look. Machines had only just been tested before people moved in (this is a let house) they had passed. While I was there I tested RCBO's and they also passed OK with no problems. This was done with MFT and not just test button. Tenant had supplied there own washing machine, so first thoughts WM must be this causing problems. I do insulation test with everything on and tests comes out just under 10 megohm. Now to me this is no way low enough to trip RCBO. I think maybe washing machine when its on for a bit that is when its getting faulty IE insulation breaking down but not sure. With everything connected apart from washing machine circuit is >299 megohm. So I try a few things and suddenly trip trips, washing machine is switched off (double pole socket)At this point I have probably been there for an hour.

I decide to change RCBO although it has tested out perfect. Put everything back on and no tripping. Now there is quite a bit on circuit but no way 32 amps. The RCBO is around the same time as the recall MCB's. It seems strange an RCBO should trip without a fault. My worry is it may not be just the faulty MCB's and possibly more gear is affected.

I've had the same with a 32 mcb! Fully burnt out customer said the breaker was sparking and looked red in the CI! Something's a miss I think! I sent it back to wylex.

I would swap rcbo with another circuit if possible, or run wm through a full hot cycle on an extension lead (fully unwound and appropriately rated) to ensure its not the wm heaters as they will only be in circuit for part of the cycle.

Although I have had enough of wylex and threatening letters regarding the recall of their dodgy products, I have only ever had 1 rcd trip for no reason, it tripped at 50% rated current with no outgoing wiring. I find there is usually something causing the problem.

Washing machines/ dishwashers are awkward to test as much of their internal wiring is only connected at various times during

the cycle. Saying that, you could whip the back off and insulation test the heater ( disconnect from controller first)

Ooops, just retread your post, I see machine was off at socket. I would swap over the two rcbo's and try that for a few days, after checking them both with tester.

Haven't heard anything yet so hopefully it was just the RCBO. The new one I fitted was a siemens one so hopefully shouldn't get to hot.

Yep!!

I'm one of those silly people who tend to stick with a brand that I'm used to using and will , hopefully, have a van full of MCBs to fit it .

So over the last 100 years I've been in the trade , Wylex and Craptree were trusted brands , in fact I don't know of ANY MCB having issues except perhaps the Wylex Push Button retro-fits which had a Short Circuit Capacity of 2K I think it was.

So I was a Crabtree man , especially Starbreaker but then went with the ordinary one for more adapability.

We are now faced with products which appear to be good quality , look the same as they always did , carry the same name that we all trusted, carry a BS number but are manufactured in the far east ,taking advantage of cheapo labour and a gross disregard for Quality Control and are basically carp and potentially dangerous.

I see that MK are now promoting the fact that 85% of their stuff is made in the UK since the Electrium debacle.

I'd use Hager but Denmans don't stock them so I'm now using Control Gear for domestic boards. Its made in the Far East somewhere I guess but so far so good. Also using MK .

Last edited by a moderator:
I very much doubt 85% of MK stuff is made in the UK. More than likely they have done the minimum they had to to get round the rules such as packinging or final assembly done here. In fact i would say its a down right lie to say 85% is manufactured ( including all parts) , assembled and packaged here

I am not sure even Hager are made in France any more. The RCBO's don't have made in France on them so they possibly are made in China. MK switchgear has been made in China for the last few years and before that Hungary. Its been a long time since it was made in Great Britain.

Your probably correct, but my opinion is thats a lie and they just twist the wording and get away with it by putting a sticker on the box in the UK or something similar.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:19 ----------

MK used to be one of the biggest employers in my area, but they shut up shop & moved the production to China many years ago. The site now has hundreds of houses and flats on it .

Mk make 2747s here in Southend on sea but where do the comonents come from? if you look at 2746,s outboard rocker sockers they clearly state made in malaysia on them as do moulded boxes and pull switches.

Serious quality control issues going on with masterseal at the moment cheaper enclsoues and less plastic used,screws are a ******* to do up now so i use BG nexus now superior to Mk

as for brekaers the RCOBS are clearly marked made in China like thats a proud thing.

Bring back British Brands for British jobs

Contactum made quality products but went tits up thanks to the greedy banks and merchants that took 120 days to pay all their raw materials were sourced around the M25 AND assembled in Criclewood with British workers now god knows were they are made and the quality is shite serious lack od moulding material.Correct me but i dont hthink we make anything now do we?

Hamilton are British made I think. I have just had a problem with some of there 20 amp grid switches so maybe there stuff is imported also.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:00 ----------

Time out

Just looked on there website its says largely British made and mainly made in Britain.

Most of Hagers stuff is made in various places across Europe. Some componetry comes from China and other places. It was my understanding too that the Telford plant made the domestic injection mouldings as well as assembling the boards.

Ev,

If you haven't got an Eds or they don't do Hager, ask them to get it in from Rugby branch or try Pulse Wholesalers. They are just off the A5 near to M6T JT7.