Xpelair fan wiring.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am installing an Xpelair BX turbo fan supplied by customer. Xpelair BriteX BX100+W Turbo Fan and White Light Kit [91248AW]. Now the instructions with fan says it only has three connections but it has a four terminal block. If you look closely on the fan body it say T L1 L2 and N. Now I would assume the T is for switch live and N is for neutral not sure where permanent live should go. They did also have another book with fan but somebody has tidied it away and it can't be found. I have tried there technical and they were no help also tried permanent live on L1 and L2 but it just runs on and on has anybody wired one of these fans up and knows which way cables go round.

Don't these fans need a controller?

I pressume T is perm and L1 is switched, L2 could be for reverse?

No Manator as said if you look at the drawing it only has three connections and the fan actually has a four terminal block. One isn't for the cpc as they are all coloured cables coming out of the back of it. The technical guy said it only has three connections also he really wasn't a help but he did say that the terminal block is marked but the markings are actually embossed on the fan body T L1 L2 and N.

perhaps simply speed controlled then,

maybe just a generic moulding,?

without destructions you are going to have to start belling out/trying different combinations,

the point being, I have never come across T in a fan before that wasnt designed to be used without a controller, not saying it needs one, just that it has the capability of using one.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:40 ----------

ah, just clicked your link,

I think I have it now, you have a constant trickle feed fan with a turbo and over-run timer,

what that means is, your fan constantly runs at a slow speed, when the light is turned on it runs faster, when the light is turned off it runs at the fast speed for a preset time, then returns to its trickle speed once again.

you do indeed have a constant flow fan, similar to enviro-vent as fitted by loads of social housing authorities.

Not sure thats what they want, don't you hate it when customers buy there own stuff. I generally fit a manrose CFD fan with manrose showerlight now I do know how to wire them up.

you can usually bypass this by simply linking the trickle feed to the switched live, then the over-run to perm live.

it would depend on if the fan works on a trigger switched live or it needs it all the time.

customers buying their own stuff, headbang

I think I may give that a go steps trouble is as I am not sure which is which it will have to be a bit of juggling about as long as I don't put a L to the neutral I should be ok.

batty, figure out your N first, then do something that shouldnt ever be done,.

have the fan reworked to used a 9v battery, then when the - is connected see what terminal you need + connected to to

A get the fan to just run

B get an over-run

you may need to link out a terminal I think by the looks of things.

That don't make it easy the embossed letters are the same colour as the fan so you can't read them easily well I can't. The terminal that is neutral has a red cable coming out of it one of the other terminals has a blue cable coming out of it to me that is wrong.

I think one of the terminals for line is a variable speed, and the other for a fixed speed. If using a controller then the variable speed connection would be used. I have fitted the larger models of these but have no idea what the wiring arrangements were, its been that long ago.