Yet Another Submain / Name Calling Ect Banned.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite right. Me and a few of my friends restore/mod cars as a hobby and a 100A mig (the smallest type) will trip out a 20A B type breaker. You will have to fit a minimum of a 32A supply. You can export an TNCS earth under certain circumstances, Here's that IEE document again http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireRegs/WiringMatters/Documents/Issue16/2005_16_autumn_wiring_matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf
Applaud Smiley

my betting Mr Slips is this will NOT be the last time you have to reference that very informative article! ;) :) :)

Applaud Smileymy betting Mr Slips is this will NOT be the last time you have to reference that very informative article! ;) :) :)
Such as now ! The part about water pipes not to be used as an earth electrode, Reg 542-02-04 may not be correct to the 17th edition as a privately owned pipe ( such as the supply from a house to a garage or workshop) is now allowed to be used as that.

Applaud Smileymy betting Mr Slips is this will NOT be the last time you have to reference that very informative article! ;) :) :)
Thanks for that slipshod and spesh Applaud Smiley

Perhaps the Author May update the article to the 17th,shame we don't have his email address.

There is of course a lot of reference material that is now somewhat misleading

due to the 17th i notice the tlc tech site still quotes 16th ed.

Beers for all cheers ssab.Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

I would not use 20 amp B type MCB to supply building as welder could trip it out. When I do submains to exterior buildings I use 10mm 2 core Swa and rod it at the other end no matter what supply is. Batty
Its only a small mig but point taken batty perhaps 32 with a 6mm swa would do the trick?.
Just to add...

if the welder would trip the 20A building supply?

it would most likely take out the 16A in the workshop CU!

so you may need to do 40A to building sub-main

then 32A ring in workshop???

:| ?:|

Just to add...if the welder would trip the 20A building supply?

Thanks spesh i had considered that very point and am glad you bought it up.will do lights in 1.5 also ,final circuit runs are not very long (thankfully) ;)

Just to add...if the welder would trip the 20A building supply?

Even a 13A welder? if it drew more than 20A surley it would blow the fuse in the plug?

Low voltage -High amperage achieved using transformers which have fans or thermal cutouts to cool them think this is how it is achieved. :D
A thermal cut out doesn't cool anything? Just stops the thing working if duty cycle over worked?

Or am I wrong?

Even a 13A welder? if it drew more than 20A surley it would blow the fuse in the plug?
think here we are talking more about initial power surges and..

60898 type B MCB's

- vs -

1361 cartridge, wire type fuses

The type B MCB's are bit more sensitive to those occasional instantaneous surges..

e.g.

your typical lighting circuit..

on old 5A, 3036 semi enclosed wire fuse... never blew when a bulb go's!

BUT on 6A, type B MCB, trips all the time when bulbs go!

so your 13a BS1361 cartridge fuse can withstand a bit more surge...

I a pretty sure any average wire fuse can quite happily let double its rating pass or a brief instantaneous surge?

I would have to go and look up exact figures etc..

But its nearly feeding time:^O:^O

so I ain't looking now! ]:)

The same 'nuisance' tripping of 20A B type breakers also very often happens when plugging in a 230/110V site transformer rated at 1000w or over (normally the 2 outlet type). This is exasperated when a circular saw is then powered up.
Oh i am totally lost now

i thought the last thing to be aspirated was a ford engine] :) :D :D