Zone Valve Isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a 3pole 'fan' switch would do, if you isolate the permanent live then the switched live is by default also isolated,
I thought that but if you have multiple valves in parallel (as per standard S plan) the 4th pole would need switching, depends on the OP's application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that but if you have multiple valves in parallel (as per standard S plan) the 4th pole would need switching, depends on the OP's application.

quite possibly,

thats why I asked normal zone valve, and OP had put domestic , so I didnt really think anything too complicated,

otherwise if you were asking about isolating it , then perhaps best not to be doing it at all.

but would it,?

as per Lurch,

what exactly is your purpose/reason for needing it isolated?
i have just drawn out the wiring diagram and i do need 4 pole isolation, second zone valve would power up orange on first one.

I have been asked to install it for isolation/maintenance on a Vaillant VRC system. It's in a big mansion house and i wanted something 'domestic' looking, any ideas???

i have just drawn out the wiring diagram and i do need 4 pole isolation, second zone valve would power up orange on first one.

I have been asked to install it for isolation/maintenance on a Vaillant VRC system. It's in a big mansion house and i wanted something 'domestic' looking, any ideas???
I don't know of any domestic looking 4 pole isolators, but you could run the orange return wires to relays. this would allow you to isolate the valves from each other on the returns and use 3P isolators.

could you not hide the switch somewhere?

I cant think of anything 'domestic' looking,

apart from a rotary isolator,

its going to involve contactors I think, unless someone else has an idea.

I don't know of any domestic looking 4 pole isolators, but you could run the orange return wires to relays. this would allow you to isolate the valves from each other on the returns and use 3P isolators.
beaten by Lurch,

I type slow......  :C

so use the oranges from both valves to pull coil on two seperate relays??

could you not hide the switch somewhere?

I cant think of anything 'domestic' looking,

apart from a rotary isolator,

its going to involve contactors I think, unless someone else has an idea.

beaten by Lurch,

I type slow......  :C
if only it was a simple straight forward customer! :facepalm:

I would have the relays/contactors permanently 'n/c' [use double throw] and only energise the coils when the isolator is off,

that way less energy to burn out the coil,

I would have the relays/contactors permanently 'n/c' [use double throw] and only energise the coils when the isolator is off,

that way less energy to burn out the coil,
Problem is that's a bit fail dangerous. You are relying on the relay energising to isolate the supply, unless I have misunderstood what you are intending?

I would be wary of installing a user-operated manual over-ride of a heating control without checking with Vaillant.

Can the user just turn down the thermostat?