17th Edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the 17th Edition Regs ? Personally I think they are over complicated and full of gobblededook.

The 13th, 14th and 15th were more to the point. Take bathrooms , no plugs, end of discussion, knew where you stood.

The 16th changed the voltage range terminology. 240v was changed from Medium to Low. To refer to a system as Low voltage gives the impression it is safe, barmy.

I'm not even going to mention the core colour changes . :_|

I do think it's daft calling 240V 'low voltage'. As it's the most used voltage using it as the standard so more = higher, less = low would make common sense.

Hasn't it been decided it's now 230V anyways?

red seems a good colour for live/phase/positive (whatever you're calling it now) blue and brown could go either way!

Yes Patch , red was the obvious colour for the live, but we must do what Europe tell us.

Same with 230 volts , the European standard. Barmy thing is , its still 240v , we have to pretend it is 230v with our calcs. I can't see them changing all the transformer tappings and rewinding the generators to achieve 230.

Why don't they leave things alone ?

Its about time they resurrected the banning of the 13 amp 3 pin socket and ring main again . There are those who do not like them for some reason.

What do you think of the 17th Edition Regs ? Personally I think they are over complicated and full of gobblededook. The 13th, 14th and 15th were more to the point. Take bathrooms , no plugs, end of discussion, knew where you stood.

The 16th changed the voltage range terminology. 240v was changed from Medium to Low. To refer to a system as Low voltage gives the impression it is safe, barmy.

come on now san' and i like you, sort of.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly, apart from on the colour issue.

for too long has the UK been stuck in its own little world, thats why its industry went to sh1t, it needs to get with the times and move along, new colours and all, not long till we have radials in the 18th now. :D

oh, and the 230/400 thing, its been that way for a long long time, has just been BS7671 finally getting their act together and making the calcs work like that made it easier.

I do think it's daft calling 240V 'low voltage'. As it's the most used voltage using it as the standard so more = higher, less = low would make common sense.Hasn't it been decided it's now 230V anyways?

red seems a good colour for live/phase/positive (whatever you're calling it now) blue and brown could go either way!
I think you do need to look at the bigger picture of electrical usage...

supply & distribution..

heavy industry power requirements..

electric railway power supply systems..

etc...

If 230V is high.......

what happens when you get up to 33,000v etc... ?:| ? :|

"super massive humongous big voltage"?

Hi, Steps, I somehow knew you jump in on this one. I agree industry is slow to spot the changes, as with the Midlands motor cycle industry when the Japanese bikes hit the roads. But we are now blessed with the black/blue - phase /neutral problem for what, the next 100 years.

Going back to the voltages, I think up to 50v used to be Low, 50- 415v was Medium, 415 - 11000v was High . After that came the Super voltages. Can't check that, I threw my 14th edition away.

As an afterthought , after I had my left thumb on a live terminal and right hand gripping the metal lighting track over a printing press and the 240v passing up my arm across my chest and down my right arm , I can assure you that 240 is not low voltage. :_|

Strange, I think it was after this incedent that I started to wear high heels. ; )Blushing:D

As an afterthought , after I had my left thumb on a live terminal and right hand gripping the metal lighting track over a printing press and the 240v passing up my arm across my chest and down my right arm , I can assure you that 240 is not low voltage. :_| Strange, I think it was after this incedent that I started to wear high heels. ; )Blushing:D
Sandra where do you get your high heels from, are they non conductive? :D

The daft thing i find is that when you buy a 12v light fitting it will say low voltage on the side of the packet.

You ask a wholesaler for an extra low voltage light and they will say '..you mean 12v..'

Personally i see the 17th as a good version of the regs. It has a lot of 'get out of jail cards' with regs like: The prefered method is ............ however if not, its okay to...................

They just tell you to put a 30mA RCD on everything and use common sense!!

What do you think of the 17th Edition Regs ? Personally I think they are over complicated and full of gobblededook. The 13th, 14th and 15th were more to the point. Take bathrooms , no plugs, end of discussion, knew where you stood.

In a rapid?! :D

Sorry folks, one day I'll be able to answer electrical queries with a wise considered response ;)

The daft thing i find is that when you buy a 12v light fitting it will say low voltage on the side of the packet.You ask a wholesaler for an extra low voltage light and they will say '..you mean 12v..'
Thats right , PoheZ ( What does it mean? ; \ ) its a question of terminology. What if you said to a customer " We have rewired your house and its low voltage" he would probably go out and buy a box of 12v lamps !!

His car electrics are low voltage , for heavens sake, not his house !!

Deke

Personally i see the 17th as a good version of the regs. It has a lot of 'get out of jail cards' with regs like: The prefered method is ............ however if not, its okay to................... They just tell you to put a 30mA RCD on everything and use common sense!!
Thanks Nato, interesting that you get on with it, perhaps its just me doing a Victor Meldrew, interesting to se how others get on with it , if they post.

Deke