220v

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was doing a ze test at a house my company recentley rewired, had a ze of 0.33 no problems with that but before it does the test it brings up the voltage and got 220v at the ccu, should i be worried in this not had one this low before always get over 240v. So i then tested for voltage at a socket and got 220v here to double check.

Thanks

I was aware its ok plus or minus 10%. Good selling point for a vphase unit with the lower voltage present.

Cheers guys, sellers i was thinking that soon as i got 220v on the tester :)

Correct'ish..

Page 242 Big red

as of 1 Jan 1995 Nominal 230v +10% -6% 216.2v to 253.0v

Pre 1995 Nominal 240v +6% -6% 225.6v to 254.4v

Old regs (16th) Big Brown book

Page 192. has the same as above..

BUT did have proposed

1 Jan 2008 230v +10% -10% 207.0v to 253.0v

But this was not brought into effect

As omitted from Big Red.

:) Guinness

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

I was aware its ok plus or minus 10%. Good selling point for a vphase unit with the lower voltage present.
V-phase would do next to nothing with voltage already this low.

The concept was that the V-phase dropped the voltage to the lower end of the tolerance to reduce the Power consumed.

If voltage already very low...

then even less of a power saving!

:| ;)

Anyone have any idea when these virtual nominal 230/400 volt supplies are going to be Real?? Or is the 240/415 volt supplies going to stay, .....for a very very long time to come??? lol!!!

They aren`t going to change the actualities any time soon mate - the figures were taken as arbitary between the 220 widely supplied in Europe; and "our" 240.

There was talk a few years ago about "standardising" freq. between US and "the rest of the world" to 55c/s - another pile of poo that won`t occur in our lifetimes; IMHO

Why 55Hz?? As far as i'm aware, on the continent it is the same 50 Hz. The only area's that i know, that are 60Hz apart from the America's are all in the middle and Far East, and even then, there's not not that many!! lol!!!

I didn't think they would be changing those voltage bands any time soon. It'll cost an arm and a leg for all the countries concerned .... Far cheaper and easier to stick to the make-believe or virtual nominal voltage...lol!!!

Edit....

Oooops didn't read your post to well ....haha!! you mentioned America not Europe!! lol!!

The Royal Navy use 60Hz as standard and 400Hz for gyro's and other bits. Not sure why the 60Hz though.
Ahh that takes me back to the day's of my youth setting to work the old MK19, MK23, NCS1 and ****ting my head several times a day on a pipe climbing in the gyro's space on an 'O' boat

Latest posts