2330 level 3 unit 303 fault finding practical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamoggy

Reaction score
Wonder if someone can help.

During the exam the other week I managed to find all the faults introduced on the exam rig but in the rush of it all, I've noticed I've not written my results up on all my findings. Most of them I did but looks like I forgot one of them

Can anyone quickly explain what reading I'd expect to find on a socket in a ring that has reverse polarity?

Thanks guys

Hi Moggy,

Ring final circuit test in 3 parts

(1) End 2 End, r1 0.02, rn 0.02, r2 0.03,

(2) Figure 8, L/N, you will get a reading equal to (r1 0.02) + (rn 0.02) /4 = 0.01ish

(3) Figure 8, L/E, You will get an open circuit with your probes in the L and E of the R1/R2 Box fitted to the socket, so then you know somethings wrong, and guess what, when you change the probe from the L to the N of the r1/r2 Box leaving the E where it is, try the switch you will now get a 0.01ish reading.

As you have linked L/E at the CU, and you only get a reading between N/E on the R1/R2 Box, this indicates reverse polarity because L is where N should be, and N is where L should be.

HTH, (MEERKAT) :)

Thanks meerkat, star award.

I need to do write up this week so big help

Hi Moggy,

303 is a PIR,

just looked at the recommended codes for a PIR and reverse polarity is a code 1,

good luck mate, (MEERKAT)

Ok,

I think I'm supposed to use a copy of everything I did for the 302 practical, write up wise which was all the dead and live tests and just add the results for the faults I've found.

To be honest, I'm not sure what he wants to see in the write up?

Is there a list anywhere then for the fault codes for a PIR ?

Thanks

Hi ya Moggy, I have just finished my write ups for both 302/303 and yes basically

same stuff for both,

I dont sit mine till june, how come you have done yours and have yet to do the paperwork,

I thought it was all to be done in the 4 hours of each assessment?

Have a look in the download area I'm sure thats where I got mine from

your looking for "recommendation codes for the periodic inspection report", good luck

We do the practical which is about 3 hours then do the write up in our own time.

We do evenings at college 2 evenings a week for 3 hours at a time.

Got the 303 written exam in 10 days which is last exam, have you done that one yet meerkat?

hi meerkat.

did you recieve the PM i sent?

keeps showing as no pm sent?

yep, I have received everything you've sent,

I have done both 302/303 a couple of weeks ago,

if you need any advice

send me a (PM) private message,

bye for now, (MEERKAT)

Just wondering if any one can advise got my Prac exam on 303 level 3 next week and have been given a folder to fill not sure were to start really or is accepted in it any advice will be very grateful cheers

Thank you 

yep, I have received everything you've sent,
I have done both 302/303 a couple of weeks ago,
if you need any advice
send me a (PM) private message,
bye for now, (MEERKAT)