2Way Switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toml

Reaction score
Ok I'll set the situation up for you

I'm at a rewire and the customer want 2 lighting circuits (ceiling lights and 5a sockets) on 2 way intermediate with 3 switches. would it be possible to have a 2g switch to switch them independent so they can have either on or both then have the other 2 switches just to turn them both off or on as they walk in or out?

Why do you want to do that? It would be very unusual and confusing to most people.

Difficulty finding a 2G intermediate?

Grid switches or Click Mode will allow a 2G or 3G intermediate.  Problem solved and you can do it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll set the situation up for you

I'm at a rewire and the customer want 2 lighting circuits (ceiling lights and 5a sockets) on 2 way intermediate with 3 switches. would it be possible to have a 2g switch to switch them independent so they can have either on or both then have the other 2 switches just to turn them both off or on as they walk in or out?

It is possible to wire lights to switch in almost any arrangement that you like. But the question you have to ask is, How does the customer want them to work? I have known some people have strange requests that appear an illogical arrangement. However if that is what they want and they are paying, just do it how they want it. If you have open choice just wire it the most convenient way to you. On your intermediate layout do all of the switches need to be mutigang or is there a single gang somewhere. Remember the intermediate switch does not have to be in the physical middle in relation to the building structure, providing it is electrically connected in the correct order.  

Doc H.

I've gone for having 2g switches at each door for lights and 5a socket. Seem easiest and simplest to be honest. I am curious about how they do it in hotels etc though. Usually a 3G switch for wall lights ceiling etc but then one switch for the lot by the bed

I've gone for having 2g switches at each door for lights and 5a socket. Seem easiest and simplest to be honest. I am curious about how they do it in hotels etc though. Usually a 3G switch for wall lights ceiling etc but then one switch for the lot by the bed
Never seen that. the switch by the bed only operated ONE of the lights in every hotel I have stayed in.

Latest posts