3 way switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Is it possible to have three way switching without using intermediates, or rather with only two way switches in the equation?

I have just removed ground floor, middle landing and top landing - all two way - not an intermediate in sight!

It all seems to work????????

I have just removed ground floor, middle landing and top landing - all two way - not an intermediate in sight!

All operating one light (or set of lights) - eg each switch will turn light on and off?

Just want to say thanks for wrecking my Sunday afternoon:D - there's no way I'm gonna be able to let this go until I've drawn the circuit lol

Is it possible to have three way switching without using intermediates, or rather with only two way switches in the equation?I have just removed ground floor, middle landing and top landing - all two way - not an intermediate in sight!

When you say it all works, I think you mean it mostly works. You can connect up 3 2 way switches together and it will work for the most part, but in certain combinations of switches it won;t. I don;t need to draw a diagram, you've overlooked something. ;)

I don;t need to draw a diagram, you've overlooked something. ;)
Very good. Then again, law of averages says you had to win one sometime;)

I have just removed ground floor, middle landing and top landing - all two way - not an intermediate in sight!????????
And now you want to know how to put the switches back again. :^O

One way to avoid using an intermediate switch is with timer switches wired in parallel. Press any switch and the lights come on. When the final switch pops out, the lights go off again.

Another way is to use remote control switches.

But proper three-way switching using only two-way switches? No. That's why intermediate switches were invented.

You can have a three way switching using only two-way switches - but the middle switch would have to be a two gang - with the switches glued together to operate in tandem- and wired with the appropiate links. (basically converting a two-gang 2-way into an intermediate)

Just in case anyone wants the solution - Strappers in on sw1 Common and sw2 Common - strappers out on sw1 -L1 andsw-1 L2 . links between sw1-L1 and sw2 -L2 ansd Sw1-L2 and sw2 L1 and both swirches operate in tandem

Just to be pedantic, it is two-way and intermediate switching (not three-way switching). All of the switches are only switching in two ways.

thats just stupid about using 2-way switches like that, go get an intemediate switch.