A Bit Steep, Even For The 'big Smoke'

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id be going in at at least 600£ myself depending on location,

they might not be that far out TBH.

its london, what rse-hole would want to be working there if it wasnt for the money?

i think you have all missed something

To be able to fit and fix in position an exterior backdraught extractor shutter to the fan and also to

make good the brickwork around new fan we will need access from the ground floor flat. This repair 
is a 2 man job as because of the working height a man will for safety reasons have to “foot” the ladder 
whilst repairs are being carried out. 

Should you require any further information please call me at any time.

We have included the painting of all ceiling and walls, to avoid shading differences. 
Yours sincerely, 

The Perfect Property Maintenance Company 
PAINTING OF CEILING AND WALLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tile repair, is there going to be an isolator fitted also, painting, ladder work, trying to get in other property,

+ Materials including core drill allowance

Parking? vehicle costs?

Sounds like a fair price

When you first see the price you think wow steep, but when you think about it, they are making cover to protect bath, allowing for making good to tiles and brickwork should it require it, and then painting walls and ceilings, most likely at customer request.

2 men then parking and all the other hassles that go with it, then the price seems more realistic.

We did one a few months back that was very similar with Cotswold stone, the core drilling alone took 4 hours due to stone being damp, the final bill for that was £680 + Vat.

It's not just a fan replacement (max 1 hour job)

It's fitting a NEW extractor, including covering the bath with plywood while they core drill a new hole through the wall.  Access to another property for the outside work at height.  At least a days job for 2 men.

Think about the logistics,  I'll bet it's not like where I work where I can park right outside, unload my ladders and tools and do the job.  What if there's no parking, or parking a long way off?  All the reasons I wouldn't want to work there, and those that do only do it for the money.

You could drill hole from outside and break the tiles or drill from inside and have a mess also they may well be Porcelain tiles.  Either way its not a building job so this has to be allowed for. Personally I don't work in London unless the price is right or its via the builder I do work for. I must say it does sound rather steep for a surface trunking job though.

+1 to above. I can see how they got to that price with all the hassle working in London brings. Parking can be £75 a day plus moving all the gear from where van parked to job. Painting, tiling, woodwork, etc.

Does look steep but could be a lot of work involved. Only they've seen the job :)

Fell out with a builder once , he was doing a bathroom refurb,    and asked me for a price to fit a fan ,do the lot including hole in wall . 

He didn't like the price much , asked why so much, I said  the hole will cost him £70  . 

Builder:-     "How can a hole cost £70 ?"

Me:-          " Thats me bringing a ladder,  bumping some bricks out , fit a tube, make good , fit an outer grille , or hire a core drill" (Hate them)

Builder :-    " How can a hole cost £70 ...I could do that bit myself "

Me  :-         " Do it then , but it'll still cost you £70 "

Builder :-   "  No ..it won't cost anything 'cos I'm doing it myself"

Theres no arguing with a closed mind .    

For your info , that jobs in The Fulham Rd which is not central London. However its a ***** to even find a space as its all residents parking and the pay & displays are a max of 4 hrs. Will cost you around £40 for the days parking but you probably loose a couple of hours moving around the van and unloading miles away.

Interesting that they have corgi, gas safe, etc in the letterhead, but no part p scheme that I can see...

Latest posts