A Lesson In The Basics To Remind Us Of Dangers?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not see your thread as mocking anything. It is rather a reminder of how we are all vulnerable.

Despite the advice to isolate is it possible he had the machine live to try and detect the fault? Is that something you might reasonably do?

Despite the advice to isolate is it possible he had the machine live to try and detect the fault? Is that something you might reasonably do?
In a workshop environment,, yes. I used to work on 200v 3ph 400hz all the time... Other guys used to work on CRT displays,,20kV (ish) daily.. Sometimes there is no alternative to working live, especially when trying to diagnose a fault

of course you should do it unplugged / dead, but im sure everyone here has done fault finding live because its easier and quicker a times

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in this case Apache, a magnatron produces the same microwaves the the microwave produces, if its plugged in then their mat be a descrepency in the negative and positive electrons. As this was a fault it would be possible that by using the magnatron he effectively produced a very high current in a manner of nano seconds, enough to kill a horse.

As someone said in the comments page of the article Patch, is it worth fault finding in a microwave when a new one can be picked up for less than £10 these days?

Andy Guinness
It was in an M&S store so I assume an industrial machine costing £1000+

Very sad I have had customers ask me to repair microwaves this goes to show its not a job for somebody that has not had the training.

Was this really a case of "forgot to unplug it"?

Or was he trying to do some live testing (determine if power was getting to the magnetron?) and made a mistake?

Either way a tragic event for the chap concerned and all his friends & family. 

If nothing else it reminds us all of the need to test for dead, AND the need to be VERY careful when you are doing live testing.

My sympathies to the family of the deceased and tributes to the above posts.

Magnetrons produce high frequency radiation and are used in radar systems.

They typically produce 5 and 10cm wavelength radiation and possibly less.

The consequential very high frequencies are the killer. (V = f.Lambda and all that).

Aircraft systems are typically 400Hz and so voltages in these systems need

not be large to produce a fatal shock.  Imagine the combination of voltage

and frequency that produced the massive cardiovascular damage.

Any loss of life for anyone while at work, no matter what trade, is a very sad and traumatic time for their loved ones..

Whilst in no way trying to assume anything about what did, or did not, happen in this particular incident,

it is another reminder of how hazardous our trade is...

Unfortunately we can all be tempted into cutting corners, working faster while under pressure to complete jobs,

Not letting a job go over budget etc.. etc..  Especially in todays economic situation..

By just skipping a step or two away from the "known" safe working practices..

Working live IS permissible in exceptional circumstances..

BUT only with all other suitable safety measures in place.

and most of the time live working is unnecessary!

Lets all try and keep our working practices safe..

as no matter how good we think we are...

(I am sure this gent felt he knew what he was doing as he had many years experience behind him)

Mistakes can be made..

We can ALL make them

and some mistakes leave permanent results..

Last edited by a moderator:
Microwaves have a capacitor that's large enough to kill even when they are unplugged. They're not an appliance that should be worked on live or dead by people who are not familiar with their specific risks.

Condolences to the family of the victim.

Sad article but very important share. Could be a dozen reasons why it was plugged in or not unplugged, but if it highlights the dangers of capacitance or working live on equipment at least some good can come from a sad unchangeable incident. Dangerous capacitance is so overlooked by most electricians, and i know many that are ignorant to it.

Also i know many guys who view equipment with less risk, and are much more complacent around equipment compared to fixed wiring/distribution, its still the same risk potential! I think it is arguably a greater danger?!?

Also i agree it will likely be an small industrial microwave, even in the staff canteen, they're not uncommon.

Latest posts