AC CHARGER

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree SW, but did the person who wrote 16V ~4A 65W on the data plate come from your, and Kerching's, University, or my Skool of hard knocks. :)

There is an international IEC standard IEC 60417 that defines the symbols for electrical "stuff" and the single tilde ~ is defined as the symbol for ac current & voltage.

The three line equals sign does have a mathematical meaning, and it is valid, it is exactly equal to, or exactly the same as, rather than just equal to.

One is now moving into pure maths, which is just nuts if you ask me!

I'm an applied kind of guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
as I have said before there are 3 types of people one's the understand math's and the one's that don't

or was it 10 types the one's that understand binary the one's that don't

I might be wrong about the first post, it may be mis-quoted from the data plate by the poster. But I still SEE it as an approximation. I completely see your point about ~=AC according to IEC, and every "charger" I can find around me has ~=AC. So not feeling too confident now.

edit; I thought the three line equal sign meant "always equal", used in mathematical proofs. "We are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others" George Orwell- Animal Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an international IEC standard IEC 60417 that defines the symbols for electrical "stuff" and the single tilde ~ is defined as the symbol for ac current & voltage.

The three line equals sign does have a mathematical meaning, and it is valid, it is exactly equal to, or exactly the same as, rather than just equal to.

One is now moving into pure maths, which is just nuts if you ask me!

I'm an applied kind of guy.
I like applied and pure maths, its what keeps me awake at nights.

The problem is that more than one equal was required when writing computer programs, so when pascal and the others started up, new symbols were used. These are not recognised mathematical symbols, rather defined argument for a program. Like the not equal to sign, it would never be used in mathematics but is common in computer language.