Adding another circuit to and old cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexicon

Reaction score
I need another radial circuit adding to our cu board to supply a new shed / workshop. We had an an eicr done before moving into this house a year ago and the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards, being installed in 1979. It does have rcd protection rated at 100ma.
Can a new circuit be connected under current legislation? or is a replacement CU mandatory?

We had an an eicr done before moving into this house a year ago and the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards, being installed in 1979. It does have rcd protection rated at 100ma.
So you spent many many £000's on buying a house including due dilligence and getting an eicr done, but have decided not so spend a few £00 getting the electrics upgraded, which you knew before you bought needed to be done?

Perhaps now is that time?

the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards,

I can't quite figure out from your post if remedial work has been carried out to make the installation satisfactory for continued use following the EICR? (if not, why not?)

If it is still not satisfactory then I would not recommend adding any new circuits or extending any existing circuits..

Always keep in mind that electricity is invisible, difficult to hear or smell but it can kill a healthy adult in less than a second..
and I believe it is still used in some parts of America to administer the death penalty!!

And..
Electrical alterations/additions are NOT about making something work.. (which is the typical DIY consideration)..

Professionally designed electrical alterations/additions are about ENSURING that in the event of a fault the source(s) of energy will be disconnected fast enough before any people, property or livestock could be put into any danger!!

I need another radial circuit adding to our cu board to supply a new shed / workshop. We had an an eicr done before moving into this house a year ago and the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards, being installed in 1979.

To be frank, if you've just bought a new house, spending around £1K is not even a drop in the ocean - so my advice to you IS upgrade the CU as any changes to the internal electrics of the house WILL require this.

people would rather spend money on something they can show off like a new kitchen or bathroom, rather than spend a few £ on something that could save their life / stop the house burning down. the old one works so it must be safe...

We had an an eicr done before moving into this house a year ago and the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards,

An EICR stating that an installation is unsatisfactory means there are one or more areas that are considered to be immediately or potentially dangerous..

None-compliance with current regulations does not automatically mean something is dangerous, it could just require improvement..

As has already been asked can you post a picture of the existing CU..

Also a copy of the observations and recommendations on the EICR, would help a lot with evaluating what your best options are?

I need another radial circuit adding to our cu board to supply a new shed / workshop. We had an an eicr done before moving into this house a year ago and the cu was deemed unsatisfactory because in does not comply with current standards, being installed in 1979. It does have rcd protection rated at 100ma.
Can a new circuit be connected under current legislation? or is a replacement CU mandatory?
No qualified electrician will do any alterations on this CU till it is deemed satisfactory .
How are you leaving in such dangerous situation?