Advice please - multiple wires from light fitting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sio746

Reaction score
I've just gone to replace an old light fixture (UK) and got myself a bit lost. I just completed one downstairs which was much simpler, and as a result I've assumed this would be the same - it's not!

Here's the situation: https://ibb.co/56qchB8

Stupidly, I didn't take a picture of where the numerous wires were going before disconnecting.

I'm trying to work out what needs to go where in the new terminal (pictured below). Any help massively appreciated.

Terminal: https://ibb.co/JRmW2vp

The light is controlled by a switch downstairs and a switch upstairs, if that's any help.

Thank you very much.

Whatever you do don't let the red sleeve fall from that black wire.
That cable with the red and yellow wires looks unusual can you show a better picture.

More details please of what looks in that picture to be a 4 core red blue yellow and black. That is not looking right, can you separate the cores of that to make it clearer in the photo and take a closer photo of that cable please?

As above DO NOT lose track of which of the black wires has the red sleve on it. Bend the end over so the sleve cannot fall off.

How many switches control this light?

Are there more than one light controlled by those switches?

Is there anything else e.g. is this a bathroom light and is there a fan in that bathroom?

And please, will people learn to photograph it BEFORE disconnecting the old one?

More details please of what looks in that picture to be a 4 core red blue yellow and black. That is not looking right, can you separate the cores of that to make it clearer in the photo and take a closer photo of that cable please?

As above DO NOT lose track of which of the black wires has the red sleve on it. Bend the end over so the sleve cannot fall off.

How many switches control this light?

Are there more than one light controlled by those switches?

Is there anything else e.g. is this a bathroom light and is there a fan in that bathroom?

And please, will people learn to photograph it BEFORE disconnecting the old one?
Believe me, I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo. Amateur thinking he knows better. Lesson learned.

Thank you very much for the reply. To answer your question, yes you're absolutely right - three way switch for this light, bathroom fan, and bathroom light. Downstairs switch for this light and downstairs living room. Total of 2x switches for this light.

I've attached a couple of extra photos.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230827_215914.jpg
    20230827_215914.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230827_215927.jpg
    20230827_215927.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 1
For the moment, ignore the 4 core red / blue / yellow black. Make the ends safe.

The normal red and black cables:

ONE of them has a red sleeving on the black core. DO NOT LOSE TRACK OF WHICH ONE THAT IS. That is the switch drop aka the pair of wires that go to the light switch. The other two are the live feed in and the live feed out to the next light.

Join all the reds in one terminal block, that does not connect to the light fitting.

The two unsleeved blacks go to the light fitting neutral terminal.

The black that is sleeved red, goes to the light fitting live terminal.

I would expect the light to work from all the correct switches but the fan not to work. Can you try that and let us know please.

Essential basics to remember for future refences are:-

To control any single light you need...
[1] A permanent live supply to a switch.
[2] A switched live supply from a switch to a light.
[3] A permanent neutral connection to all lights.
[4] Protective earth connections at ALL accessories switches and lights.

Sometimes the permanent lives are looped at the switch...
other times they are looped at the light fitting...

Neutrals may also be looped at a switch position..

There must be at least one neutral at a light fitting..
But the neutral may also be looped at a light fitting to provide the onward neutral connection to other lights on the circuit..

As others have said the black wire with red sleeve is most likely your Switched live..

BUT.. I have on numerous occasion found incorrect cable colours used at light fittings..
So suitable voltage/continuity tester(s) may be needed to verify exactly what your wires are.

It may be quicker, cheaper, safer to get an electrician round to identify exactly what wires you have at your light fitting.

That flex looks dicey tbh it needs rewiring in 3 core and earth I'd guess it's four core flex of some sort I'd be looking to locate that were it goes and rewire that cable to correct 3 core and earth

CPC looks like it’s been cut off from one of the cables also
Call an electrician there are some issues that need addressing

For the moment, ignore the 4 core red / blue / yellow black. Make the ends safe.

The normal red and black cables:

ONE of them has a red sleeving on the black core. DO NOT LOSE TRACK OF WHICH ONE THAT IS. That is the switch drop aka the pair of wires that go to the light switch. The other two are the live feed in and the live feed out to the next light.

Join all the reds in one terminal block, that does not connect to the light fitting.

The two unsleeved blacks go to the light fitting neutral terminal.

The black that is sleeved red, goes to the light fitting live terminal.

I would expect the light to work from all the correct switches but the fan not to work. Can you try that and let us know please.
Thank you Dave.

Followed your instructions and I'm now in a position where all lights and fan upstairs are working. Downstairs switch working for the upstairs light too.

I've removed the backup battery from my smoke alarm and the test alert works, suggesting the mains are fine there.

Perhaps the odd looking cables could be from an old alarm system that was previously in place across the house? Sensors, breakers etc all still in place but not active.

Latest posts