Alarm Continues After Power Cut

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardigan

Reaction score
Optima XL4

We had an area power cut lasting a couple of seconds.  Several neighbour's alarms went off.  The elderly widow next door could not switch her alarm off.  I disconnected the power supply and it's off. Each time I plug it back in the alarm bells rings (literally).  

Any ideas?

TIA

They do that....

You normally have to enter the user code on power up to silence it

However they shouldn't activate on a short power cut, the backup battery should take over

Backup batteries need replacing every 5 years or so (sometimes sooner)

What my learned colleagues have  not mentioned is the battery in the external sounder has taken over as the one in the panel is dead, probably due to  a lack of maintenance. As the system is dead you wont be able to do anything until the power is restored. For many years now the external sounders have had a 20 min (now 15) timer in them so it should shut its self off.

Optima XL4

We had an area power cut lasting a couple of seconds.  Several neighbour's alarms went off.  The elderly widow next door could not switch her alarm off.  I disconnected the power supply and it's off. Each time I plug it back in the alarm bells rings (literally).  

Any ideas?

TIA

A properly installed and maintained alarm will NOT go off during a power failure....

It creates a public nuisance with sirens howling and bells dinging whenever there is a power cut..

Especially if its late and night!!

I would guess all those houses around you need to get a competent person to come and replace the battery...

After a power cut with a knackerd battery a lot of alarm panels think they have been tampered with and either give a tamper alarm or a full intruder detect alarm!

Thats generally why they need a user code to reset back to normal.

Guinness

[SIZE=medium]Thanks for the helpful posts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have a multimeter and so should be able to tests the battery.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]You speak of the 'user code?'  Is this the number punched in by the owner to activate / deactivate the alarm?  If so she told me the number, I punched it in and it had absolutely no effect on anything.  I also stabbed at the other 'reset' buttons and the like and - nothing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If I test the battery and it's dead and I buy a new battery and plug it in will it behave itself or continue in nightmare mode?[/SIZE]

could be the alarm has re-set to default, and the code is now the default one

if the battery is replaced, then it will stay quiet on power failure until it runs out of power - should be at least 8 hours

Don't bother testing the battery with a multimeter,,,, you'll need a proper battery tester

It'll be cheaper to just get a new one (approx £10)

Be aware though that the alarm panel will go into tamper when you open it up unless you are able to put it into "engineer mode"

I'll get onto to it first thing Monday morning.

Many thanks for the much appreciated advice.