Altering Wylex Board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi All

Changing a kitchen light for  4x LED down lights. So I have to modify the wiring.

The CU is a Wylex 16th? edition board, RCD covering all ciruits but two lighting circuits. Is it possible to change the busbar to include one of the lighting circuits?

I usually just install a seperate RCD but I don't think there is enough room for it to go in.

Thanks

Malc

WHY so you think you need an RCD?

Assuming the same switch drop is being used, ALL you are doing is adding new wiring in the ceiling void.  That is NOT buried in a wall less than 50mm, so I don't think that calls for RCD protection.

I might be wrong of course.

RCBO! hard day. Should have thought of that.

Pro Dave. I did Wonder that, but reg 522.6.100 covers not only the wall but the ceiling also. and I couldn't guarantee that it would be that depth all the way through the void.

Pro Dave. I did Wonder that, but reg 522.6.100 covers not only the wall but the ceiling also. and I couldn't guarantee that it would be that depth all the way through the void.
I've just re read 522.6.100

It's one of those reg's that could be clearer, but as far far as I am interpreting it, the 50mm ONLY applies in floors and ceilings to where the cable passes through joists.

And even then, if <50mm from the surface, it's calling for mechanical protection of some form, or enclosed in an earthed metalic conduit.

In fact 522.6.100 does not mention rcd protection at all as an option to comply. So it's >50mm or mechanical protection.

Others of course may interpret 522.6.100 differently.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had this discussion with Napit inspector few years ago and he told me cables in ceiling voids are not to be confused with cables in walls, so for me rcd not required especially for the work you have stated

Some will say the circuit needs rcd protection some will not. I personally wouldnt as per pro dave and betty.

If its an assessment job then best be safe as stick it on rcd lol :)

No, I do get the right biscuits, I offer him any job he wants to see, why should I not?

Also, this is what is in the assessment criteria.

Why should I worry about what job he wants to see?

Latest posts