AM2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamiyarzy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking my am2 a week on monday. i'm pretty confident i'll be alright on the install as long as i keep a cool head and stay calm. i'm more concerned about the testing, fault finding, fault diagnosis. i was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the faults that they came across when doing theirs and the main things to look out for. also if there are any parts of the practical they found more difficult.

any replies much appreciated because just want to be as well prepared as possible.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, tried to post a message yesterday but don't think it worked properly anyway i'll try again.

I'm taking my am2 a week on monday and am generally confident with the composite as long as i can keep a cool head. i'm more concerned about the testing, fault finding and fault diagnosis. i'm ok at testing but don't really get to do much at work and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me some of the faults they came across just so that i can be as well prepared as possible. also what tests are involved in the motor circuit and are there any other things that are a bit tricky in whole exam in general.

would really appreciate any feedback just to give me a bit better idea of what to expect.

thankyou

yeah i still found it but it said it had been moved somewhere and had a line through details like views replies etc

Hi ya

You will complete each test once!

Continuity of bonds and CPC (2 methods for CPC of R2 or R1 + R2, you choose)

Contintuiy of Final Ring Main

Insulation resistance at main switch fuse. Do test on outgoing SWA. All switches on, main switch on at DB all mcbs on remove lamps, disconnect rcd socket, operate 2 way switching, unplug heater If all ok, fine, if not, break down installation or look for something which may bring down the readings.

ZS. complete earth loop as directed by your instructor. (Only once) select correct scale as I think they are the yellow robins. Get reading and check agaist max ZS.

RCD test on RCD socket. Max trip times are in Onsite guide.

Fill in the paperwork as directed. (Easy) A full test is not required until 12th April.

Hope that helps

Marksparky

Most of the faults will be fairly obvious, the two way lighting not working correctly will probably be strappers crossed, other typical AM2 faults include crossed polarity on a socket, open circuit on a conductor, possibly neutral/cpc crossed at a socket "that works but isn't correctly wired" etc.

Hi

I had my refresher yesterday and my exam on monday 15th March, and understan you are after your am2, How did you go?

Regards

Jo